dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

15 May 2007

Quiet Time

by Ben

I read Proverbs 5-6.

I long for quiet time. I realized it this morning. I haven't taken quiet time in quite a long time. Always another meeting or project or somedays I'm just plain tired. Though, this morning, I felt as though it had to be done in secret; that if the custodian walked in on me sitting with my eyes closed, that I would be guilty of wasting work time. Where did this guilt come from? Two dlog posts in a row that I feel guilty (for wanting to spend time with God!). I think part of it is that I know other jobs wouldn't be able to consider prayer, meditation, and Bible reading as part of their work. But that's not the whole reason for the guilt. I actually feel as though it would be wrong for me to count those things as part of my work time. It is then that I think of Christ's example of frequently going off for personal prayer time. It also brings to mind the emergency instructions on an airplane: you put on your own mask, then you help the person next to you. I'm going to take some quiet time today.

1 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

w00t u r so 1337

I think that the guilt you are expressing is symptomatic of a worldly point of view of how work should be done being applied to church work, and it just doesn't need applied there. We, in the church, have a duty to fulfill our jobs to the best of our ability, but we also have a duty to be stewards of our time and ourselves as children of God.

You don't clock in, and you don't clock out. Your job is to invite 6-12 graders to follow you as you follow Christ. Whatever it takes to do that job, Benny, whatever it takes. If that's quiet time, that's quiet time. If it's eating an ice cream cone, well, that's questionable but better safe than sorry ;)

Hope this doesn't sound like lecture or reproof, cause that's not what I mean, this is just a topic that's been on my mind a lot and I'm becoming passionate about separating the church from the world in my employment. And maybe that's just cause I'm a goofball and lazy, but whatever :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home