dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

08 May 2007

A picture of paradise

by Ben

I read Proverbs 3.

Back from the honeymoon. Yes, it was amazing; I recommend Mexico to anybody asking. I won't spend too much time talking about how great it was, but I will say, that while there I imagined what a community could be.

While sitting by the pool on a beautiful sunny day, I reflected over the trip so far and focused in on thinking about all of the workers who made my stay at the Gran Bahia Principe happen. There were men and women who cooked the food, served the food, poured the drinks, waited tables, kept up the pool, planted the foliage, maintained the plants, clean out the ashtrays (and then stamped the fresh sand with the image of a sun), cleaned the sidewalks, cleaned the hotel rooms, checked people in and out, setup the tours, ran the tours, drove the trams or buses, monitored the lobbies, took care of the trash, built the buildings, maintained the facilities, oversaw many staff members, worked the phones, provided entertainment, worked in the shops, and so many more.

What are their lives like? Do they get to experience this all-inclusive vacation? I'll bet not. Time off to see their family - sure, and maybe a few pesos in their pocket, but a care-free lay around and relax kind of week? I doubt it.

Imagine if you would, that all of the people who were on vacation at the resort (some 4,500 [probably more] by my estimate) put in 3 hrs of work each day to help the place keep going. The place probably wouldn't be self-sufficient, but it would be a start on developing a real community. I guess I'm imagining something like I've heard Taize, France described. Where the visitors make the facility operate.

Now, take your imagined image one step farther: imagine that it is a religious community, trying to faithfully serve God. (I find it especially appealing to imagine that it is in Mexico, near the beach, but choose whatever location interests you.)

I think people would naturally want to be a part of something like that. Of course, that's kinda how I picture heaven.

2 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

That's a crazy image of heaven. Or communism, you red ;)

BTW, I can't wait for mine! :)

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

ben, i've been thinking a lot about community recently. thanks for adding to thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home