dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

20 March 2007

"The Father Wants Love"

By Matt

So, after making that last post, I'm finally starting to do some writing again :)/:(

I'm actually going to reference yesterday's reflection by Nouwen because, well, it's amazing. The basic premise is that guilt can be an idol. Guilt seemingly is the exact opposite of an idol; you want to worship idols and you have to try not to sometimes. Who wants to worship guilt? However, we have a tendency to cling to guilt. "And you are saying, 'You can't love me, God, because I'm so bad. By thinking about my past I will prove to you that I am beyond forgiveness.'" But that's not true. "God wants us to love God."

I know in my life that when I acknowledge my sin I don't feel like I can pray and ask for forgiveness and help until much later. What am I trying to say to God by that behavior? That I'm "too bad" right now? That's obviously not true since we have forgiveness the moment we ask for it. I suppose it's shame, but then again, shame isn't stronger than God's forgiveness. It's in that moment that I most need God and it's then when I should call out for him.

1 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

Amen to that. I think the closer we can pray in relation to the sin, the more likely we are to think of God prior to and gain the resolve to not sin in the first place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home