dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

13 March 2007

Where to Begin

This isn't going to be a typical dLog post for me. For some reason, I have completely fallen off this wagon and there really aren't any good excuses. "I was too busy" really isn't that good of an excuse. The thing that really stings is that it's Lent. Lent is a time for renewed vigor and attention to spending time with God, and here I have been completely slack.

However, like Scrooge after the third Ghost, I can exclaim, "It's not too late!" In the last few days I've discovered a few new aids to my daily time with God. I decided to give up podcasts in the morning on the way to work for Lent and replace that time I would have spent with time spent in prayer. However, I quickly realized I suck at that and found my mind wandering way too much for that to be really counted as prayer time. So, then I tried taking worship CD's with me, and that sort of worked, but, again, my mind found time to wander. But then I got an idea: what if I find a prayer podcast? I looked it up on iTunes. There are a TON! The one I arbitrarily picked is called "Pray as You Go" and it's put out by the British Jesuits. It's a daily podcast that combines music, lectio divina, and questions for reflection. I've tried it a few times and found my mind wandering, but I think it's working better and my attention will improve over time.

I have also seen a recurring theme, a usual indication that God wants me to learn something (it takes hearing it more than once for me!). The lesson is on being a child of God and what that means. Our church has a Lenten devotional based on the thoughts of Henry Nouwen and it centers on the parable of the prodigal son and how that translates into being, you guessed it, a child of God. So, this morning I caught up to today's reading and I think I will start using that as my dLog text. Kinda excited about that.

So, you've heard my confession. Now let's see if I can go and sin no more :)

1 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

Way to go, Matt! You are forgiven. Glad to have you back. Let me go get the fatted calf...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home