dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

27 March 2007

Alliteration and other devices

by Ben

I read Psalm 107-109.

Psalm 108's poetry really jumped out at me. The English major in me was smiling as I read this praise. It uses so many literary devices to bring glory to God! (::Nerd Alert::)

Ok...for example: each stanza, while talking about different aspects of God's greatness, repeats a few simple phrases. I know, you're thinking, "So what?" But the neat thing here is that the two repeated phrases are separated each time they repeat by differing reasons to be thankful (and really reasons for the Psalm in the first place).

Our repeating phrases are:

"Then you called out to God in your desperate condition; he got you out in the nick of time."

and

"So thank God for his marvelous love, for his miracle mercy to the children he loves;"


In looking at these we aren't focusing on God's actions. Instead, we are looking at our actions. First, we must call out to God (in order for him to get us out in the nick of time). Second, we must thank him (for his miracle mercy). This idea continues throughout Jesus' ministry (Matthew 9:27, Luke 9:38, Luke 18:38).

The same is true for us today. We are to call out to God in our desperate condition and he will get us out, but then we must thank him for his miracle mercy. By the way, I've found that it is much easier to do this if you come to him in prayer frequently.

1 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Interesting insight! I think I found a new prayer podcast that I like more, btw, and I have a feeling you'd like it too. It uses the lectionary and pulls readings from everywhere, but mostly a lot of Psalms. It really is a neat experience to hear them. Let me know if you want to find it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home