dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

22 February 2006

Run Away!!! I mean Retreat!

So...as reluctant as I was to leave the brothers, I have returned home (with all my hair and still only hood I own is attached to a sweatshirt). However, I have to say that this weekend was great. A real time of focusing and re-centering.

As for where I was, it was the Abbey of Gethsemani in Trappist, Kentucky. Claim to fame is that Thomas Merton was a monk there. Anywho…the stay is by donation, and they provide meals and a room. That specific group of Catholics believe it is their spiritual gift to pray for others. Particularly, they pray the Psalms; over the course of two weeks, they pray all of the Psalms. Seven services a day; the first at 3:15am, the last at 8pm (makes for a long day!). The services, along with all of the programs put on there, are optional.

As for what I actually did during the course of the weekend:
I attended many of the prayer services (which allowed me to learn a lot about the Catholic service). I had a lot of prayer time and meditation time (these were very refreshing!). Too often we rush these times to “fit” them into our day. With no real appointments or place to be, I was able to take time to talk with God, not just talk at Him. Along with the group I was with, I went on a hike to visit a local hermit (who, by the way, is a Father with the monastery. It was interesting to learn about his lifestyle and what he felt was his purpose. Also, I had several discussions with individuals along on the trip about faith and life, and how to live out God’s plan for us. (Yes, for the most part, there wasn’t much talking in the monastery, but we were allowed in a few select places)

In going into this weekend, I was interested in learning about the monastic life. Specifically, I was concerned about what purpose the brothers had for living in a monastery. I worried that they were merely attempting to avoid the “evils” of the world. However, when I learned that their intention is to pray for others (something that on the service seems trivial; but who can argue with the power of prayer?) and that they provide the retreat ministry for others (for basically nothing), I was reassured.

I am a big believer in doing God’s will. Initially, I was going into this weekend thinking that I might even take a vow of silence. The day that I was leaving to go, I had the realization that if I did undertake such a vow, it would be for selfish reasons. I wanted this weekend to be a refresher for me. Period. I began to see that I could be more effective for the Kingdom if I were able to talk about my spiritual journey. Not that I believe that I am worthy enough to tell others how to live for God, but I think that communication and sharing experiences is what allows us to learn more about who God is and how He affects our lives (kinda how this blog is).

As this weekend came to a close, I realized that through talking about my situation, and that of those around me, that I was recharged. This was not because of the act talking and listening, but in seeing how God is working in my life and the lives of my friends.

All I can say in summary is that God knows what He is doing. And as difficult as it can be to trust in that (especially when times are tough!), we have to believe that God has our best interests at heart and truly loves us.

1 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Very cool stuff, Ben!

I heard someone say not too long ago that he was very grateful for the unknown prayers coming out of the monastaries of the world and that things would be a lot worse off if we didn't have them out there doing that for us.

And then on the radio last night I heard a pastor talking about how important it is to pray for one another. He says that we should be so consumed in prayer for each other that we don't bother praying for ourselves because everyone else has it covered.

Maybe that last part was exagerration but he pointed to Paul's prayers throughout the epistles which were constantly for other people. He also pointed out that in the book of Job, the turning point where God begins to make things go well for Job is when Job begins to pray for his friends. Neat thing to think about.

Final question: do monks nap a lot? I mean, if you have to get up at 3:15 am to pray there is no such thing as a full night of sleep.

Okay, real final question: so did your impressions of the Catholic church change and, if so, how?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home