dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

14 February 2006

In the word...

So...the long awaited post is started (again). I think there has been a lot of demonic force put to prevent our updates to this blog recently. Sure, it sounds like Christian hocus-pocus, but it has really felt like something did not want me to get on here and post today, yesterday, or during the weekend. And when I did try to post, I ran into computer and network problems, multiple times. So...barring and unforseen hindrances, let my most recent post get underway.

I had a major realization this weekend. The epiphany came Sunday morning, yet had nothing to do with our Sunday service (sorry Pastor Dave). Let me take you back to Saturday night. (Aside: for any of my youth reading, here’s a picture of what went on in my head this weekend)

I had not planned my lesson for Sunday morning (something that never happens). Sure, I kid about not being prepared and often being unorganized, but I do take my lessons more seriously than I let on. So, Saturday night, I decided to plan my lesson before going to sleep. The next thing I know, I’m looking at my clock and it says 7am…no planning has occurred and I had fallen asleep with my light on.

Yet…I felt oddly calm.

Too calm. Calm like I had nothing to do that day calm. I had a reflection pop into my head that I’d heard a few months back: It doesn’t matter what you say or don’t say to the youth; God’s Will can be made known to them no matter how bumbling a youth leader you are. You aren’t the gateway to God – He can find other ways to reach the kids…

That was it. I’ve been worrying so much about how to affect the lives of my youth. I’d pushed God right out of the picture.

So, I got to church, still without having anything really planned. Although, I’d gotten the notion to use something from the dLog (in fact, my last post “Camp Hazeroth”).


When the kids arrived and we began to talk about Numbers, I asked the kids where they thought we were in the story.

::Crickets::

Okay, what came before this?

“God created the earth.”

(A little author’s interjection here: These are junior highs.)

Okay, so…let’s move forward a little bit. We’re talking about Moses. What was he famous for?

“Umm…parting the water.”

Yes…and why was he doing that; where were they coming from?

::More crickets::

(Internal Monologue): Oh my goodness, these kids are Biblically illiterate.

It was quite a simple revelation, but one that crumbled what I had founded my youth ministry upon. The youth have no idea how the Bible stories fit together, which means they can’t have any idea as to the relevance of the stories as a whole!


We used the remainder of the time to look at the 10 Commandments, and specifically, I went over the idea of a Sabbath with them (as it has been on my mind a lot recently).

During the service, I paid little attention to the sermon or really any part of the service (and I openly admit that…my mind was too busy thinking about this new information). Afterward, Jamie (my intern) and I talked about a plan to help the youth to know and understand the progression of time and story throughout the Bible.

I know that many youth curriculum were getting back to just telling the stories, but now I see why. And although I haven’t done much research, I think that this problem of Biblical illiteracy is spread throughout the culture. I think back to my own Sunday School days and I didn’t have that kind of knowledge either. Youth generations for the past 30 years or so have gone without a good understanding of Biblical history (and I’m not just talking about Old Testament. Could any of you give an accurate timeline of Jesus’ life when you were in junior high? High school? College? Now??

I can no longer assume that these kids know the basis for the lessons that I teach. We have focused too much on the “ideas” of Christianity. Yes, they are great ideas: love, joy, peace, patience, and the rest of the song; but without the history behind the ideas, they mean nothing.

I know that this (and many of my dlog entries) has gotten away from being devotional, but I feel strongly about this and it has been weighing on my heart to share with you, my peers in the field.

I send my love to you all. Please pray for our youth.

God, help me to always step out of the way to allow for your will to be done. If it pleases you, use me to affect the lives of the youth. Lord, help them to grow in their understanding of you and your ways. As always, help me to keep my focus on you. Thank you for the blessings that you give me. And thank you for the joy that I find in my work. Amen.

5 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

umm....we are not retarded...

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

I'm instantly reminded of one of my favorite Rich Mullins quotes, the one that hung from my monitor in my office at JKPC: "God spoke to Balaam through his ass. I believe that God still speaks through asses today. So, if God should chose to speak through you, you need not think too highly of yourself."

Love that :)

But I think you're absolutely right, Benjamin, the stories might be lost. I think it's a very interesting idea and I'm going to look forward to hearing what comes of it. It seems like such an obvious idea: "teach the Bible." Ha!

You know, to be honest, I don't think it was until college when I realized that why exactly we had the OT. It just seemed like a bunch of God stories. Putting it into the framework of Jesus' genealogy and how we got from Adam to Jesus makes it much, much cooler.

As for that timeline:
-Jesus born
-His family flees to Egypt
-He teaches in the temple and parents freak out at age 12
-Gets baptized at age 30
-Begins ministry for next 3 years
-Put on trial, crucified, dies, is buried, and resurrects
-Opens a chain of Taco Bells throughout Jerusalem
-Returns to heaven to sitteth and ascendeth and all that

How is that? I'm honestly asking since you challenged me :)

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

good thoughts ben.

this has been something that i've tried to be deliberate about with my youth. part of the plan in our room redesign is that a pictoral story of the Bible will stretch across one of our walls.

also, we spent a month on the story of the Bible a couple months ago & i was really with how the curriculum turned out, so if that could be of any help to you, let me know & i can send it to you.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

If the anonymous comment or any other readers are my youth, I don't mean this post as offensive or to say that you aren't smart. I merely mean that no one has taught you.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

Additional: it is my job to teach the youth. I didn't know what they had been taught before me, so now I know what I need to work on in order to help the youth along in their spiritual journey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home