dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

06 February 2006

Guilt

I haven't been in Numbers since Thursday and I don't think that getting in it at 1:26am on Monday is going to result in anything worthwhile, let alone coherant. So, I'll begin by telling you about my weekend.

Friday: Kate was leading a ski trip out of town, so I spent the evening with my mother and my aunt, which was good. I haven't been taking much time for family (or friends) recently, for which I am sorry. The evening consisted of a trip to IHOP and Walmart, where I purchased a video game (even though I really don't have much time for playing). After watching television for a while, I played my new game: Medal of Honor - European Assault. What fun! I've missed that. However, as a result, I didn't get into the Word, nor did I take time for meditation.

Saturday consisted of more video gaming (it's like a drug), then going to visit my friend Josh (one of those friendships that I've neglected). I literally spent the rest of the day with him. Albeit, talking about some very important religious aspects of our lives, yet again not getting into the word.

Sunday always feels like work due to youth events.

So here I sit in the early hours of Monday morning, trying to come up with something worthwhile to put on here. I feel a strong commitment to this blog, yet I haven't worked as hard on it as I'd like.

(No transition whatsoever) The other day, on my Sabbath (Thursday), I was praying about sin and trying to confess, yet I had a hard time seeing my sin. My prayer changed. It became more about asking for God to help me know my failings. To help me recognize the things that I should be doing more of or shouldn't be doing at all. To see where both my actions and my thoughts betrayed my faith. I guess this blog reflects some of that and how I've attempted to modify my behavior to meet the needs that I have been neglecting. I know that this will be an ongoing process because of missing my prayer and devotional time. Some have said that the devil's greatest achievement was convincing man that he didn't exist. Well, his second greatest is finding ways for man to waste his time. (think of all of the vices of the world - they provide no valuable return; they only eat at your soul and take up your time; literally stealing time away from you and God).

Tonight, I sit here open and in full humility of my failures. Lord, give me the strength to be your servant. Help me to know more completely how to live the Christian life. Give me the ability to apply your teachings to all aspects of my life. I want to be able to represent you. Help me to continue to see where I fall short. And Lord, help me to bring myself closer to you every day.

1 Comments:

At 11:49 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

As one who can all too easily identify with wasting time, I feel for ya. But then again, I think, just like everything else, video games, comics, TV, movies, and all the other distractions are great for us. The asterik, of course, is "in moderation." We need games and all that other stuff for recreation, re-creation. Letting go of the world for a bit and just letting ourselves be entertained. Us sci-fi/fantasy types probably need that a little bit more than others :)

And as soon as you finish MoH:EA, go buy Call of Duty 2. Man, it's like a kick to the crotch.

And guilt: I know what you mean. Desensitzation is a tricky issue. Does stuff that feels wrong feel that way because of what society says, regardless of its actual morality? I know the first time I ordered a beer after turning 21 my heart was pounding and I felt like I was doing something wrong even though I absolutely wasn't. But it's entirely possible that I could be under 21, ordering my 100th beer and I don't think twice because the sin has lost its impact. And that's a scary thought.

I guess it comes down to discernment. Which I probably need some back to do a good job :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home