dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

02 February 2006

virgins & whatnot

i'll admit straight up that tonight i am not in a Bible-reading mood. there are times when life is baffling to me. and this is one of those.

so i read the parable of the virgins in matt. 25. the smart & silly virgins. and what i key in on tonight is "the bridegroom didn't show up when they expected him, and they all fell asleep." i think we all have those times in our lives when we say "hey God...here's when you're supposed to show up. here's the situation you're supposed to sort out. and here's how you're supposed to sort it out." and he doesn't come. he's nowhere to be seen.

so i read on.

the bridegroom shows up. the silly virgins ask for oil & are denied & then run off, missing out. i think if i were there tonight, i'd yell at the bridegroom..."so where the _____ have you been?! i've been waiting...and yeah, i'm not prepared, and yeah, i've been sleeping on job...but where have you been?!?!"

i don't think that'd go over very well.


sometimes i feel like i'm in the next parable...of the wise (and not so wise) investors. except i'm not in the story. cause i'm the one that went out and invested like crazy and was flying high & waiting for the Master's return. and then the market tanks, and wouldn't you know it, that's the day the Master comes around. and i'm like "ummmm....sorry?"


so now i'll sleep. and tomorrow i will wake up and i'll still be breathing and my heart will be beating and i'll thankful for being alive. and maybe i'll buy some oil.

2 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

And I thought I was going to get a Joshua Harris-esque soliloquy from you, Josh! (Not your brother, the "I Kissed Dating Goodbye ('cause I couldn't get a date anyways)" guy) with the title you picked.

I think that's certainly one of the more complex parables that I still don't think I have a good grasp on. Good interpreting though, JD!

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

This topic fits right along with what I've been thinking about in relation to complaining. So often, I try to blame God for things that I should or should not have been doing. Right on, Joel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home