dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

01 February 2006

A Stumbling Stake

"Staying with it--that's what God requires. Stay with it to the end. You won't be sorry, and you'll be saved. All during this time, the good news--the Message of the kingdom--will be preached all over the world, a witness staked out in every country. And then the end will come."

stay with it. i have the perserverance of ADHD in a candy shop fun house. i get excited about an idea, a thought, a vision just long enough to begin it. and then i get distracted, then disappointed in myself & the outcome. but God calls us to unyielding faith. "staked" out in the ground. i love that picture. i can just see Jesus, holding me in place on the ground, my toes pointing, and then lifting a huge rubber mallet and banging me deep in the ground. my legs and arms are smashed up against the dirt and i can't run or be distracted anymore. all i can do is stand there and be a beacon for him. Christ said that he would be a stumbling block to the wicked. what is it about a stake in the ground that attracts feet? i could pick anywhere on God's green earth to step, and i think we always trip on any stake (like a tent stake). i hope that as Christ secures me in his word that i will be a stumbling stake for others. that they can't help but trip over me...and it will make them consider "who put him there...and why?"

4 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

oh, to have that firm of footing.

and nice visual of getting hit with the rubber mallet. sometimes having my connection to God refocused feels like that!

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

You know, it sounds like getting hit with a large mallet is going to hurt, but I think that's part of learning to live like Christ.

Maybe the Kingdom is a bunch of tents and not big castles with gold-paved roads like I imagine. You might have had a premonition of frightening clarity, my friend ;)

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

i know if heaven's what we dream of, mine would involve a lot of woods and tents and not so much mansions and gold roads.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

I think mine involves a lot of Miatas and windy, Swiss Alps roads.

And seafood pasta with alfredo sauce.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home