dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

27 January 2006

Numbering the Call

I'm moving on into Numbers (another of the sarcastic "oh, what fun" books). But as you'll see, there are parallels to modern day.

In reading the first part of Numbers, it is important to get your outlook right. Sure, you could view it as "just a record of history". However, I think that there is much more to be learned from this book than how many men were counted off head by head, every male twenty years and older who was able to fight in the army, registered by clans and families of the tribe of Simeon. As you read, imagine being Moses, Aaron, one of the Levites, or any of the other tribe members.

Read Numbers 1-3.

So, in imagining that you were one of the above people in the book, how would you respond? You don't know much about the world around you. The words of God come from the mouth of one man, who yes, has done some amazing things (led you out of Egypt and through the wilderness of Sinai)...and who is this God character anyway?

When God spoke to Moses for the first time in this book he said, "Number the congregation of..." "You and Aaron are to register"

Later, in Chapter 3, he says, "Bring forward the Levi and present them to Aaron so they can help him. They shall work for him and the whole congregation at the Tent of Meeting by doing the work of The Dwelling."

You may be thinking, "woohoo, big deal."

But this is big stuff. God is putting out some serious calls here. Think of Noah, building a ridiculously big boat. This God person keeps asking people to step out of their comfort zone and to take on some mammoth projects. What nerve.

Guess what...God hasn't stopped doing that. It's just that most of us have stopped listening. We don't believe that what I call the "burning bush syndrome" can happen. We tell ourselves that God doesn't actually talk to people anymore and if he did, it would be so awe-inspiring, that we couldn't miss His sign.

That's what many Jewish people thought before Jesus came, and that's still how it's viewed today. Because God is something greater than we can fathom, we believe that he will always show himself in wonderfully amazing ways. Yet, this is the same God who chose to come to us by the means of a little, helpless baby. And saved us by the life and death of a condemned man.

When will we wake up?

When will we realize that we can't put God in a box? Will we ever stop trying to dominate the conversations we have with God?

It's time we shut up and listen. Oh, I'm including me in this too.

God is talking to us in very real ways. Our problem comes in that when we pray (often for the first time in a while), we don't "experience" God and we feel like we've been abandoned. We say, what is the point? If I'm not connecting with God, why should I continue to pray.

They are called spiritual disciplines for a reason. Yes, they get you into a habit of praying. But it takes time and repetition to feel close to God. Do you think you can understand the world through one session of meditation?

We are so used to instant gratification that when we don't get what we want, when we want it, we give up. These are the times when we most need to press on. These are the times when we most need to pray. These are the times when we most need someone around who will help lead us to God.

And although we feel like we're alone in this, we really all have these moments of doubt and questioning. Cheer up, you've got a lot of friends who have or are going through the same thing. At least 603,550 in all of the tribes of Israel.

2 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

Yes, I'm commenting on my own entry. I know I've been on a big spiritual disciplines kick, but they've been so integral to my life recently. I've really been working on prayer, meditation, and study, and they've really helped me spiritually. I hope that someone reading can get something out of the "listen to God" rants.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

I'm listening! I'm learning! :D

I think that I've gotten to the point where I can accept God isn't going to tell me exactly what he expects and what I should do in 10 foot giant, flaming letters in my front yard (finally) (It would be nice, if you're listening, God.). However, now it's more like a high school pre-dating relationship. "Well, she said that Star Wars is one of her favorite movies, she MUST be the one!" "She was talking to Jim after school today, maybe she likes him?!"

Yes, I know, all this really means is that I'm actually a girl.

But case in point: that second church in Charlotte I interviewed for featured Star Wars, U2, and Harry Potter (all positively!) in the service. How did I manage to end up at THAT church on THAT day the pastor chose to talk about that? Coincedence? Puh-lease! And so for the next three weeks I went about blathering how this HAD to be the church I would be working at.

Nope. It was a real blow to me to have that tantalizing treat dangled in front of my face and then hear God say, "Ha ha, just kidding. Next!" I was mad for a bit but I got over it.

Then I looked at the resume I submitted to that church and realized that I accidentally had put the name of another church in my objective sentence. D'oh.

(And I just realized that in a cover letter I submitted with a resume yesterday I ended up calling some business a "ministry." Lesson? If you're going to re-use your resumes, proofread them very carefully before sending them out.)

Anyways, I'm dying to be called for something big. But does it has to be NOW? Although I have a valid reason, I need money to live, right? I think this gets down to me figuring out the whole topic of God's will (ha!). Blame it on the Presbyterian-Calvinist in me I suppose :) I don't know, I think I'm so far down the rabbit trail at this point that I should just stop. Maybe I'll reread this later and figure out the point I was giong to make, if any :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home