dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

22 January 2006

C'mon, Get Happy!

Read: Philippians 2-3

I never really realized it before, but chapter 3 of Philippians is probably the happiest, most encouraging of any of the epistles and, dare I say, the entire book! It even starts off with this: "And that's about it friends. Be glad in God!" (3:1). A big point that Jerry made on our mission trip last summer is that we're supposed to enjoy God, in fact it's one of the cheif ends of man it's that freaking important! But I am fully aware I suck at it. Thankfully Paul decided to outline how to do it in this third chapter.

How do we enjoy God?
  • By staying clear of the "knife-happy circumcisers" (3:2). The folks who are going through the motions of faith, the ones more interested in how they look then what is really in their hearts.
  • Dump everything that isn't Christ so that you can embrace Christ without all the other junk in the way, and let him embrace you back (3:8). It's hard to hug someone if you have anything in your hands that you're holding on to. Plus you might poke the person you're trying to hug!
  • Eyes on the prize! "So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us" (3:15). God is directing all of us somewhere; we can enjoy God on the journey by staying on the path he sets for us and not wandering off on our own adventures. And when you can't see the path? Pray for Lasik (3:15)!
  • Encourage others who are running along side you and invite others in who are on dead-end paths (3:17). Gotta love the line about making "bellies their Gods; belches are their praise" (3:19).

We've got it so good and don't even know it most of the time! Thank you, God, for wanting us to enjoy you and for giving us the means. Even the means are enjoyable when we take the time to do them!

5 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

I know it seems weird that I'm leaving a comment to my own article, but it's not really a comment on the article :)

Sorry I missed out on us having a hat trick yesterday but now I'm moved in and settled and should be back on this regular-like. Woohoo!

Ben, hope the overnighter went well! If you have any links of your own you want to add, let Joel know (I can only screw up html evidently). ;)

In case you were wondering about the "Word Verification" thing to leave a comment, it's necessary for preventing people from leaving spam comments. You get a ton of crap if you don't.

I showed this site to the managing editor of relevantmagazine.com and he offered to plug us in Slices on the front page! I told him let us have a bit of time to get into a groove and get some more stuff going and maybe that'd be a possibility. It's up to you guys, you guys have great stuff already but I can understand if you don't want the whole world to read it. Let me know what you think!

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words Wiggins :-)

I don't want you to get a fathead or anything but I'm inspired by the way you make scripture relevant and accessable without watering it down brother. I aim to be able to communicate the Word in a way where people can enjoy it and learn from it in the sameway someday.

I love ya man, esm

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

You know, I was just about to put in my application to be Pope then I re-read the part about the fathead. Good call ;)

Thanks, ESM, glad you're digging it!

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

i love that picture of a hands-full hug. what a simple way to understand the difficulty of balancing opposite worlds. few things bring me joy and peace like a really good hug. and i have to believe that the Creator's embrace is stronger than any other i've ever known.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

Word to all of that. The overnighter went well - I'm still dragging (but I think that's a good sign). As for the Relevant plug, I'm for it (but as you say, it'd be good to get in a groove first).
Joel, you're right on with the hug connection. It reminded me of something I learned in relation to working at camp. As a director, yes, I have paperwork and things that need done, but when I am walking around the camp, my hands are deliberately empty. Sometimes the best work we can do is to make ourselves inviting to others (even when it seems counter-productive to our "work".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home