dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

17 January 2006

I did it...the Book has been cracked...

Ok...so actually my title is a little premature. i haven't actually opened it yet...but i'm about to. so here goes nothin'...

"and then God did something thoroughly amazing. totally unconventional. the Author who had woven a deep story of wonder, grace, love, justice, and relationship stepped into the middle of this story. of his)(story. entered into the story and became the hero."

these words from my friends the Sheppard brothers have gripped me ever since i first heard them. and this is what the NT is all about, right? God translating his strength into our weakness. His eternality into our finiteness. and in the joyful event of a seemingly inconvenient birth becoming the God-man, Christ, Immanuel, God-with-us.

so this is where i'm starting. in matthew. i've long wanted to read through the NT in the message. strange perhaps for a boy who's traveling to princeton in a few short weeks. but there's something untainted and enthusiastic about this vernacular retelling. and fresh. and fresh is something that this man could use some of right now. the stories i've heard since my birth reawakened.



"I'm baptizing you here in the river, turning your old life in for a kingdom life. The real action comes next: The main character in this drama--compared to him I'm a mere stagehand--will ignite the kingdom life within you, a fire within you, the Holy Spirit within you, changing you from the inside out."

the author has entered his story...as the unknown hero. oh to see what he will do.

2 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Hey, I am all for the Message. Although my reading record with the Message is still abysmal, it's still better than with any other translation. Gets me excited. Plus Eugene Peterson is Presbyterian so he is invariably awesome.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

I have to agree...even Peterson's introductions to the books get me set to read better than any I've seen before. As for being Presbyterian...no comment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home