dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

23 January 2006

Jesus who?

one of the things that i find slightly perplexing in the Gospels is Jesus' hiding of himself. when miracles are performed, when questions are asked, when heavenly authority is readily apparent in this man, he rarely claims his rightful title. often times i've wondered why this is. while i'm sure there's many reasons (in fact, i remember hearing a variety of them in my bible/theo cognate) a new one struck me tonight as i read matt 10 & 11. John the Baptist sends his discples to this Jesus character to find out if he's the real deal...the Messiah John was clearing the way for. and Jesus replies rather indirectly...yet powerfully.

"Go back and tell John what's going on.

The blind see;
The lame walk,
Lepers are cleansed,
The deaf hear,
The dead are raised,
The wretched of the earth learn that God is on their side."

seems to me the easy answer for Jesus is "yeah...i'm your man." instead, he points to the overflow of his action. he replies "what does this tell you? you decide." he doesn't ram himself down the throat of the questioners...but rather invites them alongside. he does this continuously...think of the disciples, of the rich young ruler, of the crowds that followed him. his message was a constant "lay aside your life...join in mine...and together let's see what will happen." toward the end of 11, he says it this way:

"Walk with me and work with me--watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. keep comapny with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

today i try and sort through what evangelism looks like. i've seen and tried a million sure-fire "fishing rods"...pointed questions and pressure, megaphones messages, tactless tracts. but maybe it's much easier than the Romans Road. and at the same time more difficult. maybe if i can simply free my feet to the "unforced rhythms of grace"...then a life so compelling will spill out that others will lay down their burdens and join us in exuberant dance toward freedom.

1 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

I was going to comment on how much I love the phrase "the unforced rhythms of grace" but then I read "tactless tracts" and suddenly I have a new winner ;)

Do you think the stuff you termed the "overflow" would be considered the URoG? I've always been curious as to what URoG is exactly and I think that's a pretty good definition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home