dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

09 February 2006

Camp Hazeroth

Read Numbers 12. (No seriously, do it.)

I'm going to focus today on verses 3-8 or "the convo with God". Miriam and Aaron's doubt is understandable. We have all felt it at one time or another: "Why does God seem to favor that person? (and not me...)." When we see another walking closely with God, we feel like the one being slighted. We feel, as Aaron and Miriam, "Doesn't he also speak through us?"

Even as I write this, I wish for the relationship that God describes to have with Moses, "I speak to him intimately, in person". Wow. I want that.

But as I say this, I know that God's path for me is far bigger than my simple desires. His plan for all of creation comes down to details. In my case, it requires for me to learn to connect with God. This would never happen if he just showed himself and made it easy.

We are to admire those around us who have a closer walk with God and strive to be like them. As simple as this may sound, it can be difficult...especially in times when our personal prayer life seems weak.

Of course, when we see ourselves going down the wrong path, we are given the grace and forgiveness granted by Jesus, the Christ. In this story, it is shown by both Moses and God. In verse 11, Aaron pleads with Moses because God has turned her into a leper, "Please, my master, please don't come down so hard on us for this foolish and thoughtless sin."

And Moses is so cool. He prays on behalf of Miriam - not condemns, not says "Ha! That's what you get!" He prays for her healing.

And God, even cooler, turns the whole thing into a teaching moment. Basically, he tells them to check their laws (i.e. His Laws) and see what to do. After being quarantined for a week, she is fine and readmitted to camp.

I find it interesting that even in this Old Testament story, we get a glimpse of the New Testament God. I suppose that's because it is us who changed...at least our perception of God. But isn't that how it always is? God doesn't change, merely our understanding of him does.

2 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

I've always wondered how people interpret "Read II Opinions 3-4" as a command or "this is what I read." I've meant the latter, Ben obviously intends the former. :)

A closer walk with God is something I've been thinking about for a while now. Rich Mullins said, and I firmly believe what he said, that closeness to God isn't about a feeling, it's about obedience. Which is great except that right now, in the midst of many tricky choices I'm trying to make, I don't know which choices are obedient or not.

Maybe it's the trusting him in the small stuff and the big stuff will work out. I dunno, I'm just apprehensive about the whole thing right now.

Very insightful about the quarantine laws and the glimpse of the NT God. You are one smart dude.

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

Matt, I agree about the obedience...and I think it is about maintaining a strong connection with God. By keeping regular communication with Him, you can ensure that you are walking the path. However, another way to look at it is that no matter what choices you make, your future (not to mention the present) is in God's hands. And by trusting that, you are doing God's will.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home