dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

14 February 2006

Everything You're to Be

Read: 2 Thessalonians 1-3

So, yesterday I deliberated over whether or not I was going to focus on chapter 1, chapter 3, or chapter 2 again, just to be different. Jury's back: chapter 1. And it's hardly even into the chapter. 2nd verse: "Our God gives you everything you need, makes you everything you're to be."

I wouldn't say by any stretch of the imagination that I'm "poor" right now. I might have less money coming in than I'm accustomed to at the moment but I can look around and tally the money I've already spent and know that I'm much better off than most of the rest of the world. Living within my means is not an easy concept to me as I'm a flagrant consumer with a constant need to constantly purchase things. I fight it and I've gotten better, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

Anyways, in these trying, jobless times I'm having to take a hard look at the things I regularly purchase and picking out the ones that are "needs." Food, rent, and health insurance are the big ones really and of those three, the last two are pretty non-negotiable (unless I tell Aultcare where they can stick that ridiculously over-priced health insurance). So, even within food I have to take a look at what is necessity and what is rationalized. This little exercise in unemployment has taught me the difference between the two and I'm learning to look for the bargains and maybe not buy the preferred brand every time. Or simply just doing without or less frequently than I'd like (man, do I miss Oreos, didn't even realize I really missed them until I decided I shouldn't buy them).

I suppose this is one of those God breaking through the clouds type times for me with me learning greater dependence on him for what I truly need, mainly a job and income and that sort of thing. I don't know exactly how he's going to provide but I'm still excited to see what he comes up with. Just hopefully he does it before I really am broke to the point where even comics aren't an option ;)

But it's the second part of the verse that I really like: "makes you everything you're to be." I love the idea that I'm capable of being much more than I am. It's an easy thought to grasp because there is a lot of room for improvement. It's a hard thought to grasp because there's a lot of work to do.

A certain image comes to mind: a sculptor starting with a big chunk of marble and slowly chipping it down over time. And this goes back to the first part of the verse: God doesn't add to us, he chips off. We're the statues hiding in that chunk of rock. It's when we get rid of the crappy outer layer that the beautiful aspects of us are visible. It's when we do more with less, when there's less us and more God, that we finally start to get it right.

Chip away, God, chip away :)

5 Comments:

At 11:46 PM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

so good matt. so good. the saying "less is more". it's so anti our culture, but Christ was all about flipping our world on its head. somehow when we get rid of our junk, we are opened up to experiencing more fully what we were created for. that's exciting to me. because it means that i have within my grasp the ability to experience more life, more God. i don't have to get a better paycheck, a fancy degree, a nice location of habitat. rather, i already possess the ability to grow. by giving. a quote by wesley comes to mind that i recently shared with my jr. highers:

"gain all you can. save all you can. give all you can."

brilliant.

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger novelesm said...

Beautiful Wiggins. You have been on my fridge dry erase board for weeks by the way. You're loved man and I may even call you, lol :-)

Peace out, A-Town down, esm :-)

P.S When we do talk I actually have at least ONE awesome story to tell you concerning the topic of your post. God is AWESOME!!! Laters bro :-)

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Thanks, guys :)

Joel- the Wesley quote? As in John Wesley the Methodist dude?

ESM- what the heck is A-town?

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

yes...as in "John Wesley the Methodist dude".

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

Matt, I'm right there with you about the attempt to live within my means. I hadn't had Ramen noodles until after college (a feat, I know...). Now, I am striving to eat healthy, without spending a whole lot of money (while eating at least two meals away from home each day).

I know that I need to be more careful with my money, and it is an area of my life that I am working on. Good post, Matt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home