dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

14 February 2006

Lunging or Lazy?

so i know i'm not setting any landspeed records for reading through the Bible. but little steps are still steps.

and in my reading tonight, i am challenged again. Jesus shoots straight with the apostles, saying that they're going to scatter like snow flakes in a tornado (is that even possible?) Peter gets all up in a tizzy, saying "you're wack...we'll stand strong through any attack!"

but then, just five verses later, Peter and all the other disciples fall asleep on the job, when Christ is in obvious distress and specifically asks them to stay alert & aware. FIVE VERSES LATER!!! apparently Christ catches the irony in this moment as well, when he declares:

"There is a part of you that is eager, ready for anything in God. But there's another part that's as lazy as an old dog sleeping by the fire."

I feel this dichotomy so strongly. i yearn deeply for God, desiring to scream his glory at the top of my lungs to the entire world with word & deed. and another part of me lies collapsed on the floor, immobile and slothly.

these are no mere stories. they are the same struggles we face today.

3 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

I think the one sort of relieving aspect of this story is that the disciples had JESUS FREAKING 5 FEET AWAY IN THE FLESH. If they couldn't pull it off with that kind of proximity, how does anyone expect me to do it?!

Or, I suppose, that we know a lot more know than they did and since we don't have that physical closeness, man o man, are we going to have to try even harder :)

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger novelesm said...

Good thoughts guy. I feel like I'm right there with ya.

Your post made me think about a verse.

[quote]Ephesians 5:14

14Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.[/quote]

I believe even those of us who are saved can fall asleep. The danger is in letting ourselves think that it's ok.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger novelesm said...

P.S I think you would enjoy the song "Light Up Ahead" by Further Seems Forever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home