dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

03 October 2007

The Importance of the Process

by Ben

I read Isaiah 11-13.

I'm beginning to get life lessons on the slogan for the dLog. And because of these events, I am starting to see how Scripture is viewed as food.

On days that I read, I find that things make sense. On days that I don't read, I find myself getting frustrated more and having more difficulties with the world around me. I don't think there are changes in the world, but there are certainly drastic changes in my mood and the way I view things.

I know that when I haven't read for a while (a couple of days), I get short with people. My anger builds up over little things until I feel like I'm going to blow up at somebody. And it takes a lot of convincing myself that it is worth my while to start reading again. But everytime that I do, I find relief. It's like a pressure valve let's off a little steam when I read Scripture.

Maybe that's not it at all. Maybe it just changes the way I view the things that got me frustrated in the first place. A paradigm shift, of sorts. And this shifts puts the world in a light that pales the importance of my frustrations, re-energizing me to apply myself to godly things.

Now, I'm mixing my metaphors. But I think my point is coming through. I've found that reading Scripture is like food that nourishes my soul, so that I can better follow God. Yes, there is much to be learned from the actual content of Scripture, but the process is just as important.

1 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Food that nourishes, mmmm, yes. Don't forget in Psalm 1 David compares reading the Word of the Lord to being a tree by a stream. Except that we're trees that inch away from our streams and, amazingly, are surprised that it's good for us when we return to that stream :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home