dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

10 September 2007

Finding Pathways

by Ben

I read Song of Songs 1-8.

First a note: after my last post disappeared right after I finished it, I decided to take my Bible and a notebook out to the courtyard and wrote there.


In finishing out the Song of Songs and reading through the book completely, I find myself as though enjoying a re-read of a favorite novel. I am seeing more than I have before as I go. But the very readingbrings me joy - afterward, I wished that I felt that same joy everytime I read Scripture.

I'm at an interesting place in my spiritual walk; I am beginning to internalize what I have been thinking and even saying about how I relate to God. I guess I'd still been working off of the world's paradigm of success and hierarchy. I'd been seeking or merely waiting for reward as I grew spiritually (and somewhat feeling as though there would be a finish line). It is one thing to say that you understand that and another to truly feel it. I still have to mentally fight against that sense of "what's in it for me?" But I find that this battle is really just about keeping perspective.

I've been clinging to things a lot - my house, my jobe, my perception of what God wants me to do. I think I need to pursue the Reformed, yet Reforming ideology in everything that I do.

How this directly relates to the Song of Songs, I can't fully explain, but I can say that it made me think about love, lust, culture, God, sacrifice, Christ, purpose, message, growth, Spirit, and time - and how I have viewed each of those and maybe how God wants me to view each of those. I really believe that Scripture can open up mental pathways that had previously remained blocked - even if they have little or nothing to do with what you are reading.

1 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Dude, that's all awesome. I can't tell you how jealous everyone should be of someone finishing a chunk of scripture and feeling joy at having read it. That's an amazing thing! It all too often feels like homework or obligation and the joy really isn't present. And that's missing the point. Maybe the connection you can't quite put your finger onto is that SoS is a book about love and you're falling in love with the book of love :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home