dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

04 September 2007

Finishing Touches

By Matt

I read Romans 13

"The night is about over, dawn is about to break. Be up and awake to what God is doing! God is putting the finishing touches on the salvation work he began when we first believed."

I love the urgency of this statement. It reminds me of a sign over Pastor Gus' door: "God is at work, why aren't you?" In some ways that scenario is a bit of a theological impossibility: God can work all the time; we can't. But it is in other ways an encouragement and a reminder of the greatness for whom we work. "We can't afford to waste a minute, must not squander these precious daylight hours in frivolity and indulgence. . . . "

I know deep inside that part of my ongoing campaign to avoid burning out by keeping to my hours, fiercely guarding my weekends, and establishing boundaries, is also in some parts just my general laziness. The perspective that gets put into by this paragraph is kind of frightening, but also inspiring. Kinda like that bumper sticker you see occasionally: "Jesus is coming (look busy)."

1 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

I think you are justified in keeping your free time as "yours," but I think if we were to apply this to a modern day ministry calendar, Paul would be speaking to those who are counting work hours, while not really working. How tempting is it in that last fifteen minutes before you leave the office (when you've just finished a big project) to just putz around doing nothing? It is in these moments when we must be diligent in trying to do God's work. Make the phone calls you've been putting off (at least, that's the example for me!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home