dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

29 August 2007

Undeserving, Yet Loved

by Ben

I read Song of Songs 5-6 and The Interpreter's Bible commentary "III. The Exclusiveness of Love" and "IV. The Extravagance of Love."

The more that I read of this, the more that I wish that I could talk to God in the way that these lovers talk to each other. The sensual language that the young lovers use is out of complete love and trust for their partner. This wild abandon allows them to truly be who they are with each other and through this, they reveal their insecurities:

"I am a rose of Sharon, a lily of the valleys" the young maiden says about herself (2:1). She is feeling unworthy due to the love expressed by the young man and so she puts herself down. But the young man (so smooth) takes her negative comment and turns it into a compliment: "As a lily among brambles, so is my love among maidens" (2:2).

I have found this in my own experiences with Kate. I try to compliment her and she puts herself down. Of course, the same is true the other way around; Kate tries to compliment me and I get shy and don't know how to accept the positive statement.

I think that most of us don't know how to deal with positive language about ourselves. We want it...we crave it, but we don't know what to do when we get it, even from our mates - or from God. I bet that a regular conversation with Christ was one of the most awkward things in the world. Because of our discomfort in speaking in an open and loving way with those around us, how much more difficult it makes talking to God in this way.

*********
Lord, help me to express my true love for you, both in prayer and in my relationships with my brothers and sisters. Help me to shed any fear of being inadequate or unworthy to love you. I may be the lowliest of the low, but you love me and that shows how amazing you are for your people. You have all power and wisdom, yet you have all the love in the universe. I may never understand how you are all of those things at once, but I trust that you are. I delight that you know me and trust me with the awesome opportunity to influence your flock. I pray that I serve you well and example your love toward others for your glory. You are more than I can ever imagine and yet, I can't help but feel connected to you. Thank you. Amen.

1 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

I know what you mean! It's hard to take a compliment, even from the person who probably knows me the best. I think it comes down to feelings of unworthiness. I know what goes on in my own head and, knowing that, it doesn't make sense that she would love me and think so much of me. But she does. Boy do I have her fooled ;) But then again you have to consider: she knows you better than anyone else in the world does. Her opinion better count for something!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home