dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

16 January 2007

Singing Solomons

By Matt

I decided to take Ben's advice for my new dLog direction: Song of Songs, a.k.a. Song of Solomon. And it's kind of funny that I'm going in this direction since I am engaged as of yesterday. So, SoS seems strangely appropriate :)

I read: SoS 1-3

SoS, if it's about anything, it's about love and marriage and sex. However, I found something interesting that I hadn't expected here. In 1:15 the man says, "Oh, my dear friend!" Friendship! Friendship forms a basis for these other three relationships, not to mention the rest of Christianity. Last week I was really inspired and challenged by a speaker at the Princeton Forum who lectured on the underappreciated yet integral concept of friendship in Christianity. Being together with friends in deeply intimate, sharing relationships is one of God's greatest gifts yet somehow completely undervalued by Christians. While I think it's right and appropriate to spend time alone with God in quiet time, it's interesting to note that Christ told us that it's when two or more are gathered that he's present.

So, what do you have in a marriage? Two. Entering into a marriage is inviting Christ to be even more omnipresent in your life than he already is (if that's even possible!). Friendship, in Christianity just as in marriage, should not be underestimated, for it is a powerful way to be in relationship with Christ as well.

1 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

Here is your official in print: CONGRATS!!! That is awesome news!

Amen! This really hit home with me last night as I went out to dinner with a friend of mine. The sharing we experienced brought on the same joyous feeling as a personal encounter with God. This is ever-present in my relationship to Kate as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home