dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

03 January 2007

I really hate making all these titles with "question" in them

By Matt

  1. "Friend, why this charade?" (Matthew 26:50) - What I'm going to respond to here isn't so much about the meaning or symbolism of a kiss but rather why the heck would Judas kiss Jesus instead of pointing at him and saying something like, oh, "Hey, that's Jesus." I mean, honestly. Yes, a kiss is a symbol of love, affection, etc. so Judas' betrayal is made all the more bitter by that irony, but let's be honest, why is it necessary? The armed guards are there, Jesus already told Judas that he knew what is up. Why go through all that trouble? I just don't get it.
  2. "Don't you realize that I am able right now to call to my Father, and twelve companies--more, if I want them--of fighting angels would be here, battle-ready?" (Matthew 26:53) - The fact that Jesus willingly hands himself over to be killed is an interesting dichotomy. It shows the depth of love God has for us but it also shows us the power of sin and just how much it took to bring us back to the table with God. It's a sobering fact. It's good and right to know that God has power over sin, and he grants it to us, but we shouldn't be lulled into complacency or be surprised when it shows up.
  3. "But if I did that, how would the Scriptures come true that say this is the way it has to be?" (Matthew 54) - Well, it couldn't, J. Sorry. I really am, 'cause it's the terrible combination of my selfish nature, my lust and fear and anger and complacency with the power of sin that brought you to this point. And I'm sorry.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

Sorry, no help on number one...I've pondered that one for a while too. Number two has such a neat image: "fighting angels would be here, battle-ready" - wow. And you made the perfect point for number three.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home