dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

02 January 2007

Questions for a New Year

This very month the dLog will be one year old! Woohoo! Let's celebrate with a post :)

  1. "You, what do you want?" (Matthew 26:39) - This question is being addressed to God as Jesus wrestles with his impending crucifiction. He precedes it with, "My Father, if there is any way, get me out of this. But please, not what I want." I've never really felt that the scripture here matches the description of a man in such torment and agony he is sweating blood. Just not enough emotion to it. It's a hard thing behing asked of him and Jesus isn't trying to hide it. However, that makes his resolve to go through with God's plan all the more powerful when he chooses to accept it.
  2. "Can't you stick it out with me a single hour?" (Matthew 26:40) - Jesus acknowledges the disciples' zeal but also their shortcomings: "there's another part [of you] that's a lazy as an old dog sleeping by the fire." As we have often pointed out here in the dLog before, we are as the disciples are, full of good intentions but rather stupid and inactive when the time comes.
  3. "Are you going to sleep on and make a night of it?" (Matthew 26:45) - The disciples still can't keep their eyes open and Jesus asks this rather pointed question. Guess so!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

More often than not, I find that I have been asleep spiritually. I don't notice my own failing until my world starts to fall apart. Then, suddenly, as I look for God and wonder where He is, I get the question back to me, wondering where I've been.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home