dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

20 November 2006

Our Holy Grail

by Ben

I read 1 Chronicles 13-16.

This section recaps more of David's reign, including his reclaiming the Ark of God. Which, of course, got me thinking about Indiana Jones (I mean, who doesn't think of that when talking about the Ark?). This got me thinking about all three of the Indiana Jones movies. Which was your favorite and why? Why were Lost Ark and Last Crusade more popular than Temple of Doom?

Those two had Biblical references and artifacts! The main goal of these movies was to find the two greatest artifacts (or at least the most talked about) of the Bible. Who cares about a couple of stones that glow in comparison to the Ark of God and the Holy Grail? These items hold a sense of mystery for us, yet are real and ingrained in our history.

It is the same reason we like movies or books like The Matrix or Chronicles of Narnia - they make connection to a mystery that we all have in our hearts (not to mention all of the religious references). The suggest the answer that the Bible has already given us (if we'd just pay attention to it): that there is something bigger than us out there. We want to believe in the Matrix; we want to go to Narnia; we want there to be more to this life.

The great part is when you realize that this is more to this life and it is attainable, but not like chasing down some mysterious golden skull or finding the fountain of youth. We are already on the adventure, we just have to look around and notice it. And the reality that follows with it shows us that the greatest prize ever is right in front of us and all we have to do is reach out and take it. (And the beautiful thing is that no giant boulder is going to come rolling after us when we do)

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Speaking of the Fountain of Youth, I saw the movie The Fountain and it is AWESOME.

One of the very powerful aspects of fiction is that it gives imagery and life to the journeys we are on. I honestly believe my faith walk has been made more vivid and more powerful to me because of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and Narnia and Spider-Man and all those WWII movies/comics/books I've read. I can read on a page that Jesus died but those emotions don't really connect for me until I see it, whether it's in the Passion or Braveheart or Saving Private Ryan.

And I'd have to say Raiders or Crusade as well. I think Ark is better but you can't deny that scene in the church of the grail.

Remember when pop culture still thought hte grail was a cup? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home