dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

02 November 2006

Prodigal Questions

  1. "Why do you question me about what's good?" (Matthew 19:17) - This is an interesting question. A man asks Jesus what he must do to get into the Kingdom of Heaven and this is how Jesus answers. Jesus' next statement is that "God is the One who is good." I find this interesting because of the separation that Jesus puts between himself and God. Maybe this is part of his not really letting everyone know who he is deal, which I also don't get.
  2. "Do you have any idea how difficult it is for the rich to enter God's kingdom?" (Matthew 19:23) - Very, evidently. This is a scary cautionary tale for me. I don't consider myself rich, but I do have stuff. Stuff that has the very possibility of making me a little too bulky to get through the narrow gate of the Kingdom. Was Jesus being hyperbolic here? Do I need to get rid of everything to be ready? I don't really know. However, I think it's also possible to own property and not be owned by property. And perhaps that's what the man's problem was, he was owned, not the owner. Or pwned.
  3. "What do you want?" (Matthew 20:21) - I smile when I read this one. Some question, eh? James and John's mother comes to Jesus with a request, that her sons sit at his right and left hand in heaven. Now, there is some faith in this request because it shows an understanding of who Jesus is, but it's still a bit presumptious. So, Jesus response is kind of fitting if you ask me.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

I just talked about these questions with the youth a few weeks ago (the Mark versions anyhow), but I thought it was interesting how much slack he gives the disciples in their question asking. These guys hang around with him 24/7 and just can't seem to understand him. The funny thing to me is that these same guys later become the founders of the early church (that we look up to). It makes you wonder if they were still as bumbling then? Or is it meant to inspire us that even these guys could get with it and follow Christ, so we should be able to as well?

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Yes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home