dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

03 January 2007

Deja vu all over again

by Ben

I read 2 Chronicles 10-16.

Happy New Year!

In reading today, I heard more about Rehoboam (Solomon's son). As a young king, he makes some grave mistakes that split Israel into two pieces. Rehoboam, now the king of Judah, grows in understanding and seems to do some good things, but doesn't seek the Lord with all his heart. Later on, King Asa seems to be following God, even going so far as to make the statement that "anyone who refused to seek the Lord, the God of Israel, would be put to death" - a pretty strong statement, especially for a guy who falls away from God later in life.

Why do I mention these things today? It is because I know that although I want to have faith like David and wisdom like Solomon, I live like Rehoboam and Asa. My spiritual life waxes and wanes. I define sin as not thinking like God. Maybe that's too steep of a definition, but it helps me to realize that although I'm generally a good person, I have a long way to go.

I have times when I forget (or more likely "don't have time") to do Scripture reading or quiet time. The next time I do take time with God, my error faces me. My sin is there and is something I must deal with. But I do face it. I do not turn from these times of judgment. Unlike King Asa, I come back to God. Unlike King Rehoboam, I continually come back to God. I pray that I continue to do so. I pray that we all do.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Glad to see you back, Benny boy!

I think it's interesting that you, and a lot of people, want faith like David's and wisdom like Solomon's but see yourself following the pattern of some of the lesser knowns. Don't forget that David and Solomon both had huge problem areas in their life they dealt with too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home