dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

15 January 2008

Damn

By Matt

So months ago (September really) I said I was going to start going through the Gospels and picking out stories where Jesus talks about condemnation or salvation. This all started out when last summer I was attending a Bible study and the leader said that sometimes it's necessary to make condemnation for sins a part of evangelism 'cause Jesus did it. Well, I didn't have the evidence at the time to disagree, which was my immediate reaction, so I decided that at some point I'd get to going through the Gospels and seeing if that hypothesis plays out. From all the encounters that I could remember it seemed like caring for the poor and loving one's neighbor was more important than remembering sins in Jesus' name. We'll see!

Today I skimmed Matthew up to chapter 5, the beatitudes. Right there Jesus names off two groups of folks who get to inherit the Kingdom of Heaven: the poor in spirit and those who are persecuted because of their righteousness. So that's our first instance. However, I should point out that I'm making a judgment call in equating the "kingdom of heaven" with just plain ol' heaven. After all these years I'm still not 100% clear on what the differences might be if there are any.

But anyways, right here we don't see condemnation. All of the conditions for being blessed are positive. It's not, "If you are doing drugs you won't inherit the kingdom of heaven." It's Jesus affirming positive behaviors and attitudes. But still, I think there has to be some sort of qualification here. Maybe? I mean, all you have to do is be "poor in spirit"? Is it as easy as that? I don't know. Is this for people who have already been saved? I guess I'm not sure, this doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. Does Jesus exaggerate? Is there something wrong with me that I'd be miffed that anyone who is just plain ol' poor in spirit gets to inherit heaven without any other prerequisites?

I thought I had the beatitudes nailed. Now I'm just confused. Persecution is easy enough though :)

2 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

I think you are feeling the very human adverse reaction to things not being fair. Think of every teenager you know...it is all too common to hear the phrase, "THAT'S NOT FAIR!" I'm not just picking on teenagers here; that is how we all feel when we see somebody get something they don't deserve. Remember the last time you were in a long line of traffic and somebody came driving up the shoulder and got let in five cars ahead of you? GRR!!!! It's just not fair! They should get what's coming to them.

Every time that I feel this sense of unfairness coming on, I remember my own sin. So, to answer your implied question, Matt: yes, I think it is difficult to be poor in spirit. 'Course, I think being poor in spirit means being able to truly love the person who drove on the shoulder.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

actually, Matt, there is a lot of condemnation in the Scriptures. it's just usually directed at those doing the condemning, like pharisees, saducees, etc. Most of Christ's harsh words of rebuke seem to be directed toward the religious, not the sinner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home