dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

02 November 2007

A Calling

by Ben

I'm not writing about Scripture today (sorry). Instead, I will attempt to try to give words to a feeling that I am experiencing. Some have called it a "calling" - I want to distinguish between what I am feeling and the sense of my own desire. My wants have little to do with this experience.

I feel that I should be going to seminary. That is my next step. I was talking about this feeling in a conversation today and I realized that the whole thing is backwards from the way that I've run my life. Traditionally, I would discern a goal and then figure out how to get there.

For example, in 8th grade, I knew that I wanted to be an English teacher and drama director, so I focused my attention on how to do that, and sought a degree at college that would allow me to teach.

However, along the way, I was offered the job at the church. Uncharacteristically, I took the job, having never intended to work in a church setting (and really only being a marginal Christian at the time). I can only say that God wanted my attention. It was because of being involved in Christian education that I have grown in my faith.

I must say here that the decision to work at a church, when I was assured my dream job at a school district in Cleveland was a difficult one. I still can't fully explain the feeling I had at the time. (I have since felt great joy due to this choice, but that is not the point of this story).

I again am having that same feeling. I feel that I should go to seminary. I don't yet know what that means. I don't really have the desire right now to become a senior pastor, but who knows. Again, my wants aren't really leading this adventure. So, for now, I must follow this feeling, wherever it leads. I pray that I am following God's will.

2 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

Ben...
i've had a number of conversations recently about calling. it seems to be a much more difficult issue to sort out than what i always learned growing up. not nearly as cut and dry as i wish it would be. and yet i'm confident in God's love & character and that who he is somehow guides us.

interested to know what you pursue in terms of seminary...

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

You can be a youth director who went to seminary. You just have to be okay with, "So when are you going to become a real pastor?" ;)

Having just commented a few posts back about the potential of the Church when Christ is in the people in the church, you have to admit that a true Calling is a powerful manifestation of that idea on the micro level. The Church can only do what it's supposed to when the people inside do what they're supposed to. And the people inside can only do what they're supposed to when they listen to what Christ is whispering in their ear and start walking in the direction he's nudging them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home