dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

29 October 2007

Reforming

by Ben

I read Isaiah 28-35.

As I read today, I found myself looking for words that would apply to my life, to my situation. I am contemplating a large decision and really want to make sure that I am doing what God wants and not what I want. It would be easy to say that that one option would benefit me, while the other would leave things up in the air. So, I find myself looking for answers from God in every place I can find them: life events (sometimes called coincidences), Scripture reading, and prayer. Here are two unrelated things that popped out at me:

I will make justice the measuring line and righteousness the plumb line; hail will sweep away your refuge, the lie, and water will overflow your hiding place (28:17).

and

O people of Zion, who live in Jerusalem, you will weep no more. How gracious he will be when you cry for help! As soon as he hears, he will answer you. Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it" (30:19-21).

In the first quote, I sense the push to strive for righteousness, to continue reading and praying. I must seek God in everything. Else the consequences are listed above.

I believe that I have already been experiencing the ideas within the second quote. This feeling is so hard to describe. Although it sounds trite, the "still, small voice" is an appropriate way to describe this. I believe that God still talks to us through the events of our lives and in prayer and Scripture. It is in these ways that I hope to obey God's call on my life.

Like the clay in the potters hands, I am being remade.

2 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

The funny thing to me about that second passage is that bread and water are used in the negative sense, whereas everywhere else in the Bible (and most real life too), they're positive. I wonder if there's a lesson in that (this is true wondering), maybe Jesus as the bread and water are life-giving but also can be afflicting and adverse? I don't know. Or maybe this is Peterson's creative translation. Checked, same thing in the NIV and NASB. Weird.

BTW, get any return phone calls about that big decision coming up? :)

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

nice spotting that...i hadn't noticed! and more on the big decision later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home