dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

12 February 2007

David's Anger

by Ben

I read Psalm 26-30.

I read an article the other day about prayer. Specifically, it dealt with what people pray about. Well-being, family, work, and world peace were high percentages of what people pray for. Near the bottom of the list (garnering only a measly 5% of people) was praying for punishment of enemies. Understandably so, Jesus told us to love our enemies and pray for them.

Yet, as I read through the Psalms, I find that David continually prays for God to punish the wicked, "Pay them back for what they've done, for how bad they've been" (Psalm 28:4). This prime example of how we are to pray is asking God to destroy his enemies.

Now, obviously David had not heard of Jesus's teachings...but we still look to this book of prayers for guidance of how to live and pray. I'm confused here. Maybe we are just supposed to see David's back and forth of emotions? Any thoughts?

3 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

That's a good question . . . lot to think about there.

I suppose that the crux of it depends on your definition of punishment. If punishment is inherently negative, I would think it goes against what Jesus says about loving and praying for enemies. However, if punishment is meant as discipline, i.e. David's enemies receiving holy retribution for their evil actions that will lead them back on a path to God, then I would think that's a good thing.

However, David I don't know if that's exactly what David's praying for since I remember some of the prayers aren't really seeking discipline but more revenge. I read Psalm 143 and one of the nuggets from that one is, "In your unfailing love, silence my enemies; destroy all my voes, for I am your servant."

Huh, maybe not. I'm stumped too :)

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

PS - With a few posts on prayer lately, I am starting to wonder if God's working on you about prayer. Just a thought :)

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

It seems that way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home