dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

08 February 2007

"Communicating with God"

by Ben

I read Psalm 19-25.

I've been reading "Confessions of a Pastor" by Craig Groeschel. Some of the chapters are titled, "I Can't Stand a Lot of Christians," "I Have to Work Hard to Stay Sexually Pure," "Most of the Time I Feel Incredibly Lonely," and the list goes on. Today, I read the chapter entitled, "I Hate Prayer Meetings." In it, he describes his feelings of awkwardness when it comes to prayer. Everything from boastful praying aloud in public to confused praying alone.

I admit that I too struggle with prayer. It is hard to know what to say. I mean, He knows what you're going to say anyway! But this chapter made it all make a little more sense and just seem more comfortable. So, I took some time for personal prayer and then decided to look over some of David's psalms. Like David, we need to be able to be honest with God about our subjective experience. If we don't think God is being fair, we should tell him that. As the book suggests, "He can take it."

2 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Wow, that sounds like an interesting book. Is it really as negative as the chapter titles make it sound? :)

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

The chapter titles are a bit misleading; they are true, but misleading. Example: "I Can't Stand a Lot of Christians" - This is the first chapter of the book and within the first paragraph, he says, "Many times I'd rather hang around wild, swearing, heathen, lost people than self-righteous, hyper-critical, narrow-minded, so-called believers." But he also goes into how he hates himself, the way he puts on a show, the way that he is less than he should be for Christ. I think that the things that he thinks (and says) are things that we, as Christians, all feel, but are afraid to put into words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home