dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

23 August 2006

Eli's Coming

by Ben

I read 1 Samuel 1-3. We read about Samuel a young boy who comes to be through the prayer of his infertile mother, Hannah. In thanksgiving for her answered prayer, she gives Samuel to God - literally. Samuel become the apprentice to Eli, the priest in Shiloh. Eli's sons are sinful boys who take the meats from sacrifices before the people's sins can be atoned and they are rumored to be seducing the young women who assist at the entrance to the Tabernacle. This makes God upset...at Eli and his children. He tells Eli that he will end his family line and will rise up another to be the faithful priest. (Bummer for Eli) When Eli finds out through Samuel's famous mix-up of bosses, he takes it really well. Eli shows his dedication to God's Will, even though it really is bad news for him.

Things I can't figure out:
1. Why does God punish Eli as well as his sons. I can't figure out what Eli did/didn't do.

2. Did Peninnah, Elkanah's (Samuel's dad's) other wife, have anymore children as Chapter 2, Hannah's Prayer of Praise, suggests?


Also, I found the idea of writing style really interesting in this section. Chapter 1 and 3 are very much like much of the story parts of the Bible. Chapter 2, particularly verses 1-10, are written in prayer form and reveal much of Hannah's emotion, her direct feelings toward God and those around her. It made me think of the distinction in musical styles that people spend so much time arguing about today: traditional versus contemporary. Substance-wise, traditional hymns have it all. They tell the story of our faith. Some would debate that they are all that is needed for worship, while others say that they lack emotional oomph. On the other hand, contemporary Christian music, more specifically "Praise Songs," are chock full of emotional draw and can help people feel really close to God. Some suggest that these are the only songs that qualify as worship, while others contest that they have no depth.

You may be able to tell which I prefer by what I have written, though I did my best to hide it. My preference matters little. Neither should anyone else's. No one should have a market on what songs should be sung because they like it. Life, and more specifically worship, is not about me. It isn't about what we feel. It's about praising God. Can fans of contemporary and traditional music coincide - even worship together? Let's look to 1 Samuel. Could we get David, the Psalmist, and Paul, the letter-writer, to sit down together?

When we get down to it (and maybe I've got Doug Fields on the brain), what is our purpose? Why do we gather together on Sunday mornings? Why do we have music in our services? What are we trying to accomplish?

1 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

My guess to question 1 is this: Eli was in charge. He had the power to tell his sons to stop, kick them out, dash their heads upon the rocks, etc., but he didn't. I'm always surprised at how seriously God takes the things he considers holy. Take the story about the guy who was carrying the Ark of the Covenant and let it slip and was struck dead. Yikes! God ain't takin' no slack from nobody!

Very interesting direction you went with this, about worship music. The more I look at both hymns and modern worship music the more I get confused. I love the melodies and words to many hymns, especially "Be Thou My Vision" and "Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee" and I'm always glad to hear them in contemporary services. I mean, Beethoven wrote the music for "Joyful," how cool is that? But yeah, most of the time when I sing a hymn I'm singing old words it feels like. I like the words and music to a lot of modern worship songs but the pronouns bother me a lot. So many of them are "I" and "me" instead of "you." If we're singing worship, it should be to God, not indirectly through us first. I dunno, that always kind of bothers me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home