dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

08 August 2006

Joy and Playfulness

by Ben

I read Psalm 42. In addition to Scripture, I finished "Running on Empty" by Fil Anderson.

The Psalm spoke of pain, fear, and discouragement, yet expressed a trust in God. It even goes so far as to use the words, "I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again - my Savior and my God!"

In the last chapter of his book, Mr. Anderson discusses the difference between joy and happiness. Happiness is a feeling based upon the circumstances (or "happ"-enings) of life. He says it very simply, "Happiness is a good feeling I get when things go a particular way; joy is an attitude I adopt in spit of how things go. Joy is a posture, a position; it's the deep assurance I have that the God who loves me is in control.Joy does not happen to me one day and avoid me the next. Joy is the result of a choice, a choice I have to make every day. It's a choice based on the knowledge that I belong to God, who is my Refuge. And nothing, not even death, can take God away from me."

I think the Psalmist (a descendant of Korah), has this joy. They may not be in the best circumstances, yet they remain positive and in keeping with the Lord.

Fil Anderson brings up a related idea that I like, but have trouble being comfortable with on a spiritual level (which I think is true for most of us). He relates being joyful with playful. A simple idea really. Both of these are words that we easily relate to children, yet rarely do we bring these words to have any meaning for our adult selves. We think of playing as immature and certainly not godly. Mr. Anderson addresses this point: "The concept of playfulness is biblically sound. The psalmist, for example wrote, 'Be still, and know that I am God!' (Psalm 46:10). Don't overlook the fact that the Scriptures rarely contain exclamation marks! Another translation says, 'Cease striving and know that I am God' (NASB). It has been suggested that both 'be still' and 'cease striving' really mean 'have leisure'.

Most of us have trouble even being alone with God, let alone playing with Him. "Surely He's too distant/busy/omnipotent to care about spending time with me," we say. When really, it is our fear that prevents the relationship from happening. Our fear of God and our fear of ourselves. We need to really ask ourselves, "Why am I so afraid to play with God?" Ask yourself these questions: Do you imagine that when you step into a sailboat, that God stays ashore? Or that when you go into a movie, that God stays on the sidewalk? Or that when we're in the heat of a tennis match, God is waiting for us in the church pew? We play, it is lovely, and we can revel in God in the midst of our play. What thoughts or feelings do these words give rise to in your heart? Take time to write down the most meaningful and inspiring ideas that come to mind.

1 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

I really like the thing on joy and happiness. I think those words get used interchangably too often, especially in church.

As far as play, God made it a command: take a day off! Too much work is just about the worst thing we can do to ourselves :)

As far as playing though, what's another name for it? Recreation. I love breaking down that word: re-creation. Playing gives us times to return to who we are, shed the work clothes and just be ourselves, re-create ourselves in the image we were made, God's. That's why it's good and necessary to play. Or at least read a good book or watch a good movie. Or lots of comic books, whatever :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home