dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

31 July 2006

Psalmapalooza

by Ben

I read Psalm 6-25.

I felt led to do a larger chunk of reading today. It was interesting to watch David's emotions over the course of the Psalms. Yet, all the while, he still trusts God. He may be in dispair or have been attacked, but he calls on God. And when something has gone well for him, he praises God for bringing him through adversity.

Wow. I want that kind of faith. I want for God to be the first thing in my life. To look to Him first in times of need and to immediately praise Him for the good things He gives me. I was thinking earlier today that I have trouble seeing the wide range of my sin. Don't get me wrong, I know where my trouble spots are, but I wasn't seeing the breadth of my sinning against God. Today's reading is beginning to help me see that in my lack of constant connection to God, I am sinning. I, like the world, still only look to God during times in the extremes: when I am desperately in need or when I am obviously blessed. I have to remember to keep God with me throughout all of my life. The spiritual disciplines help me to remember that. If only I could keep up doing them on a regular basis!

Matt has been talking a lot about our relationship with God as being the primary focus of Christianity. I have to agree...if we took our connection to God as serious as we take our friendships and intimate relationships, the way we look at life would be a lot different. As a child, I remember my parents telling me that life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you react to what happens to you. The quality of the 90% changes a lot depending what you base your life and actions on. I know that in the past two years, I've been closer to God and as part of that, my actions (and reactions) have been more positive to the 10%. However, I have a long way to go. I'm trying to imagine what I would be like if I walked as closely with God as He wants me to. Think about that for a second, He wants us to walk with Him (and not just for a little bit either).

We know what we have to do to walk closer with God. Yet, why don't we do it? Are we afraid? Sure, we're afraid of losing what we have (look at all the disciples had to give up). We're afraid of the unknown that comes with following Christ. However, God has told us what will happen and that He'll take care of us.

This is the especially difficult part for us Christians. a) "God hasn't been specific enough about my future." b) "Can I really trust God? I mean look at this time in my past. Where was God then?"

We are not much different than the Israelites turning their backs on God (seemingly every day). This could bring us back to the discussion of the Holy Spirit being with us now, but I feel led to take this discussion back toward the idea of our connection to God. God wants us to be with Him. In his book, Running on Empty, Fil Anderson suggests that the responsibility for our relationship with God is up to God. He goes on to say, however, we have to create opportunities for God to speak with us. This means taking time away from the other (very much important) aspects of our lives in order to be with God. What does that mean for you? I don't know. It is up to you to figure that out. Just take the time. Right now, because you may not get to later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home