dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

24 July 2006

Shake the devil off

by Ben

I've really felt under spiritual attack today. For those who don't understand what I mean: I'm not doubting God or His power. I still have the belief structure I did yesterday. What I mean is that I have noticed a strong pull away from God through the events of the day. (yes, this even happens at the church) I don't feel that I should bore you with the details of what happened. These weren't major things (no one died, I haven't had any relationships end); they were just minor things, but combined they were drawing my attention away from God and making me angry at those around me. I forgot to trust God's providence and that He can pull me through anything.

However, I found that when I tried to pursue God or seek His wisdom, that the pressure to turn my attention away from Him increased. In my reading today, which was Psalm 4. I found these words:

"For the choir director: A psalm of David, to be accompanied by stringed instruments.
Answer me when I call, O God who declares me innocent. Take away my distress. Have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
How long will you people ruin my reputation? How long will you make these groundless accusations? How long will you pursue lies?
You can be sure of this: The LORD has set apart the godly for himself. The LORD will answer when I call to him.
Don't sin by letting anger gain control over you. Think about it overnight and remain silent.
Offer proper sacrifices, and trust in the LORD.
Many people say, "Who will show us better times?" Let the smile of your face shine on us, LORD.
You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and wine.
I will lie down in peace and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, will keep me safe. "


"Take away my distress"
"Don't sin by letting anger gain control over you"
"'Who will show us better times?'"

I pray for joy in this time of spiritual struggle. God, I praise you for my inability to easily find you. I am reminded of Anna who prayed for years to see God and had to wait until near the end of her life. I pray for the ability to trust you. I offer myself to you. In the name of Jesus, Amen.

1 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Well, here's to hoping you won't have to wait until the end of your life, buddy! Joyous waiting until you reach where you're going though :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home