dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

01 March 2006

A Virtual Tour?

Today's entry has nothing to do with what I read...I just didn't feel inspired by it. So, I'm going to take you on a tour of my desk:

There are several piles of work that I put off, some pens, some candy, a camera, the book "The Basics of Biblical Hebrew" -which I have yet to get past the Hebrew Alphabet chart, along with an array of other random items needed to get youth work done (which of course includes food and games).

Some of those are the objects of the work, things needed to do the work. Then, there are the reasons for the work: of course, I have pictures: my girlfriend Kate, my youth group members, the Camp Staff, Matt Wiggins!!, and pictures from recent trips. Also posted are quotes, cartoons, and other forms of inspiration in order to get me through the day. Though admittedly, I rarely actually re-read them. So, I will now share with you some of the items that say the most to me.

A blue post-it note that reads, "Our true identity lies first and foremost in being members of God's people - adopted before the creation of the world, created to be holy and blameless."

A white index card with a short scripture: "How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word [...] I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. -Psalm 119:9,11"

A short devotion for youth workers based upon Ephesians 1:3-12, that has this section highlighted: "Is it frustrating to have people think we should grow up and work with adults? Sure. Would it be nice to have people speak of our calling with the same regard they do of those who are physicians and attorneys? Definitely. Do we have good reason for wanting to level the parent who says to us after a mission trip, 'It must be nice to go on exotic vacations like this'? You better believe it. But let's forego trying to win the fights that just don't matter. We're among the eternal people of God. We're connected to Abraham, Esther, Isaiah, Mary, Peter, Aquilla, and Priscilla. We're connected to God's people escaping the edge of the sword in Afghanistan, Sudan, and Columbia. We're connected to the Ephesian believers of the 1st Century. Our participation in the mission of God among young people connects us to God's redemptive plan to reverse the curse. We're all part of the adopted family of God. We're all called to join God in placing everything together under the authority of Christ (v. 10) so that 'through the church, the manifold witness of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities' (3:10). Now that's a fight worth having!"

Other articles are titled: "Beating the Martha Syndrome", "Youth Ministry Lies", "The Right Kind of Kids". Still, one of the most powerful things is a short note written by Alex, one of my youth, in orange magic marker on a torn piece of paper: "We love Ben!"

These items, although they have little monetary value...and if I died today, would most likely be thrown away without a thought, are the little pushes that get me through the day. These are my visuals every day. But these items themselves mean nothing, without a purpose behind them. These items connect me to the youth that I pastor and the God that I serve.

God give me work
Till my life shall end
And life
Till my work is done.

2 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

If this was the 1960's, you were Stan Lee, and this was Marvel Comics ant not the dLog, I would call this:
"The Offbeat Post of the year written in the Mighty Marvel Manner by Beamin' Ben George!"

:D

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

i'm not quite sure how to take that, or really what all of it means. I'll just keep re-reading the part, "If this was the 1960's, you were Stan Lee"

Can you tell we're going to be doing a lesson on hermeneutics soon?!

P.S. Gonna miss you at the Famine tonight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home