dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

26 February 2006

That Easy

I've pretty much eschewed the Old Testament for a good 3/4 chunk of my life but all of a sudden a creeping interestin Ecclesiastes and Psalms and, ahem, Song of Songs has given sway to a new appreciation. Yet, it has just list after list of names and how many omers of gold Johiaziah gave Nebemenatoad and, in that way at least, it's deserving of its bad name by me. But let me tell you, this 1 Kings stuff? Has me hooked. I think I'll finally dive into that whole second half of the OT that I've pretty much ignored (I have read Isaiah and Zepheniah, for shame, I know). Anyways, on to today's post!

I read: 1 Kings 10-12

So, Solomon. Talked to God directly. Gave God the right answer to a tough question. Has it pretty good. And then all of a sudden, bam, out of God's favor and given all sorts of cryptic warnings with the general idea being, "You screwed up and you're outta there, bucko."

Someone explain this to me: How does someone so close and so in touch with God, someone who just 4 or 5 chapters before is "granted a God-listening heart," FORGET GOD?! I really, really want to know. Doesn't it seem like all those things are so significant that remembering not to worship all these false gods shouldn't be so much of a big deal? Solomon, for being so wise, are you really that dumb?

And then there are the disciples. "Hey, guys, can you stay up with me and be with me while I'm freaking out about being crucified tomorrow?" "Yea-zzzzzzzzzzzz."

I tell myself over and over: "If I had the shot these guys had at knowing God so intimately, there's no way I'd screw it up like they did. No way. God is right there! He's standing next to them, appearing in a vis--oh wow, I got a new email! Who is it from?!"

Yeah, exactly.

I get frustrated and jealous with these guys but I have something they don't. Holy Spirit. Dwells within me. That's kind of a big deal, no?

What makes us so quick to turn away and forget? Why do these glorified shiny-objects hold so much sway over us? It doesn't seem fair. We're created with this amazing tendency, wait, no, this isn't a tendency. We'd move mountains to give into this temptation to desert God. We're built with this wanton disregard for God. It's scary. And all the heroes of faith, our Hall of Famers, they're just as guilty of it too. Guilty as we are.

Why did Solomon lose it? 1 Kings makes it sound like he just had too much philanderer in him, like father like son I suppose, he just couldn't deal with his desires. And we're talking 1,000 women here. One marital "consummation" a night and you've got over practically three years going. That's scary many. Why do I lose it? Why is my gaze so easily averted from God? What chance do I have? What chance do any of us have?

It's a frustrating thing. However, I believe our frustration here points to one thing: we need God. We fail when we begin to replace God or even just lower him one notch. And he's not about to let us go on with the lie that he doesn't have to be the center of our lives, our everything. Let us turn the frustration we feel towards these guys and ourselves into the conviction we need to live a God-centered life. This frustration is the proof of a life worth living, no matter how tenuous our grasp on it.

7 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

You're right on, Matt. The first thing I do when I sit down to work is e-mail (while thinking, "I'll pray in just a bit"). Then, I'm on to the next work task, forgetting entirely my prayer time. This is the kick in the pants that I needed today.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

So how do I give you the kick in the pants to start posting again? C'mon man, you tease me with great stuff after your retreat and then NOTHING all week. You better be shelling out some gold before long or I will come up to Ohio and kick your butt.

Or maybe just throw a tantrum. ;)

One other thing I'd like to share: if you are wondering why there is "word verification" for the comments, it's to stop spam. Otherwise every time we post we'd have some idiot trying to sell us stuff through automated commenting macros. Verification is a pain, but it stops the spam.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger novelesm said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger novelesm said...

Why do we so often go for the "company car" or worse, something even less tempting than money or status? I'm so convicted on all charges guy. I've seen God do AMAZING things in my life and than I'll find myself doing something stupid within minutes. I think about when Peter tells Jesus that he knows he who he is and Jesus responds by telling him that the Holy Spirit gave him the answer and you know, that it was all gravy :-)
Minutes later Peter is called satan and he's right back in flesh mode. Comforting on one end, terrifying on the other. I say we just kick eachothers butts when we need to and stay close to God. That's my dime, love ya brother :-)

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

craig gross from xxxchurch.com said something when he was here last fall that has challenged me continually...to the effect of how do we wonder why we struggle with our relationship with God when the first thing we do when we wake up is check our email...before prayer, bible, anything else, is the god of email. hmmm...that's so me.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

BECAUSE I HAVE TO KNOW IF SOMEONE EMAILED ME!!!1!!11!

Yeah, it's a scary addiction. Good words, J!

GREAT example, ESM, with Peter. Man. It's tough.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Joel, just because of you, I actually stopped and read Psalm 96 before running to the computer this morning :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home