dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

01 April 2006

JCS: Everything's Alright

Listen Along!
105 - Everything's Alright

I just helped some friends move already this morning and boy are my arms tired! Well, that's not really a joke, but it will explain if my typing is really off.

"Everything's Alright" is the continuation of the annointing of Jesus by Mary Magdalene. It also features Judas saying that the money spent on the perfume could have been spent on the poor, which I incorrectly reported was in yesterday's song (Judas comments on Mary being a prostitute, not the perfume in "Strange Thing Mystifying"). Ah, more Mary confusion. By tradition we've started to hold that the prostitute that Jesus heals is Mary, for some reason, despite the lack of proof within the Bible (but how we ignore the fact that Judas is Jesus' half-brother boggles my mind). Jesus did drive seven demons out of Mary (Luke 8:2) but nowhere does it say that she was a prostitute (or Jesus' wife, HA!).

Judas' response to the annointing with, "That money could have been spent on the poor," is met with an interesting response. Jesus' response, in turn, is also kind of weird: "Jesus said, "Let her alone. She's anticipating and honoring the day of my burial. You always have the poor with you. You don't always have me." I think Jesus is setting down some priorities here. Perhaps our worship of Christ is more important than ministry, maybe even much more important, than the other 4 purposes of the Church (evangelism, ministry, mission, fellowship). This is just me interpreting here, I'm not really sure. I guess this is just me asking at this point: is that how you would interpret this passage? And I'll leave it with that, finally, a short one :)

2 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

because i haven't been here in awhile...i'll comment on all of JCS blogs in one comment...

"I can't imagine anyone in their right mind stealing from the Messiah, the Son of God and Son of Man. Stealing from a clever teacher? Sure."
this must be why Christ was so direct with the question to Peter "who do you say I am", as well as why he was so stoked about the answer...because Peter had connected with something that very, very few others had. he had divinisized one who he had known only as a man. that is thrilling indeed.

"kissing Jesus away"...
what a simple yet profound way of putting what we do each day as we lead our own lives instead of Christ's bursting out from within us.

i do think what Jesus is saying here is all about priority...that before any action comes the placement of our heart. that it is placed firmly in God and his purposes. and having God in the flesh is surely worth prioritizing.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

Joel, good to hear from you!

Matt, this section about Mary reminds me of the section where Nicodemus brings (this time in daylight) seventy-five pounds of spices (myrrh and aloes) to pay tribute to Jesus, after his death. Seventy-five pounds (where do you hide that??).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home