dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

07 March 2006

The Plagues

I just finished reading all about the Plagues & the Passover. I'm reminded of someone (I don't remember who) that taught me about the significance of the plagues. That they all were an affront to a different Egyptian god, progressing to the most powerful. ie, they actually worshipped the river, so turning it into blood was the first example of this. Toward the end, the plague of darkness was obviously a show-up to the Sun-god. The final plague, on the firstborn, was an attack on the Pharoah himself, who was viewed as a god. Anyway, i love contextualization and understanding the culture behind the scriptures (which is perhaps why i get into ancient languages and commentaries so much). so it was swell to remember all of that.

2 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Ohhh, now that is very, very cool. I had no idea. I love learning the "behind the music" for these little stories. Great stuff!

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

Same sentiments as Matt! I never knew, but it makes so much sense!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home