dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

18 October 2006

Spiritual Life

by Ben

This may sound really dumb, but it is amazing what your fiancee, a fellow youth worker, and a senior pastor can do for your spiritual health.

I read 1 Kings 11-13. Solomon messes up. His foreign wives did exactly what God said they would, they led him astray and got him to worship other gods. God tells him that He will take the kingdom away from his family, specifically his son. Solomon's son, Rehoboam, after taking the throne, listens to the advice of his young friends (as opposed to the advice of the older counselors who had advised his father) regarding an issue the people bring to him. The people revolt because of his wickedness (and poorly chosen decision) and he is run out of office, left with just the tribe of Judah to follow him. The rebel leader Jeroboam takes over and begins to build shrines to Pagan gods and create festival days for those gods. And even though there are many prophets who pretty convincingly prove that he is in the wrong, he did not turn from his evil ways.

It's amazing how much I don't know about the history of my faith. I am just astounded at my personal lack of knowledge. Even moreso, I am shocked at how many times people need proof of God. I know that I grew up wanting proof of God's existence. Looking at the history of the Israelites should be enough to convince any unbeliever, yet why is this such a struggle? Why do even practicing, believing Christians have times of doubt? Why do we turn our backs, when we can clearly see through the accounts of the Old Testament that we can't do it on our own, let alone do it better than God?

All of this makes me think about my life and imagine what if the events of my life were recorded in a text. Would I look like the foolish Rehoboam? I hope it would be like David or maybe Joseph. Obviously, the goal is Jesus.


Father, grant me the heart of your Son. Allow me to live my life for your will. I pray that my life teaches the lessons of the faith and helps others to grow closer to you. Amen.

3 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

You want your life to look like David's? Do I need to mention this to Kate?! ;)

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

lol...not what i meant! More of the faithful part of David's life, less of the i'm gonna sent your hubby to the frontline and sleep with you part.

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home