dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

27 September 2006

Resentment

by Ben

Sorry for the dlog dlay!

I read 2 Samuel 16-20.

David's son, Absalom (who has taken over his throne), is tricked and killed in battle. David mourns the loss of his son, yet must be proud of his army (so they don't abandon him). He returns to Jerusalem and the men of Israel and the men of Judah are upset about how much time each group is spending honoring their returned king. Sheba, a man from the tribe of Benjamin, speaks up and leads a revolt against David (yes, another one!). David appoints his nephew, Amasa, to be in charge of his army instead of his other son, Joab. Amasa rallies the troops, while Joab takes some men out to chase after Sheba. Along the way, Joab kills Amasa and has the army come with him to get Sheba. They get Sheba's head (without a major battle) and return home. Joab is then reappointed as the head of the army.

I feel like I'm reading Judges again! There's no commentary on Joab's behavior!

He kills his cousin for what we can only assume is jealousy. His cousin has been appointed to the position that he once had. He kills him along the side of the road and covers up the body.

I realize that I merely want to see justice. It's like when somebody does something illegal (or even just inconsiderate) on the road right in front of me. I want to see them punished! This is one of those areas that makes me get frustrated. Anger burns in my heart as I think, "How can God let him get away with that!"

I went back to the Scriptures while writing, and found a commentary about this chapter entitled "Justice" (ironic, huh?). It reads:

"Once again Joab's murderous treachery went unpunished, just as it did when he killed Abner (3:26-27). Eventually, however, justice caught up with him (1 Kings 2:28-35). It may seem that sin and treachery often go unpunished, but God's justice is not limited to this life's rewards. Even if Joab had died of old age, he would have to face the day of judgment."

How soon do we forget that this life is temporary... I know that we all will have to face God and defend our life. Yet, in the moment, I shut down my theological thinking and focus on the moment and let anger and resentment eat away at my mind.

Father, please help me in these times to remember your will. To remember that there's more to this life. Help me to trust you. I know that I should not judge others in these moments, as I am just as guilty. I pray for your forgiveness - for me and for them. Though we both deserve your punishment, I want that you would not give it. Lord, be with all of your children today; help them to find you and to understand their relation to others through you. Thank you Father. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home