dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

22 September 2006

Now That's a Good Question

By Matt

Out of the rhetorical teaching questions and into some legitimate ones that Jesus is asking those who are interacting with him, hot dog!

  1. "Why this gossipy whispering? Which do you think is simpler: to say, 'I forgive your sins,' or 'Get up and walk'?" (Matthew 9:4) - This is a trick question, 'cause isn't one just as easy as the other? I think so. But, as Jesus says, he'll do both just to prove he can. I think it's funny and strange how at time Jesus is hesitant to proclaim his true identity, other times he's brazen and almost sarcastic. I think a lot of it is just understanding the context and perhaps some of it is just from not being in the culture.
  2. "Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick?" (Matthew 9:12) - Well, the sick, obviously! But who do we, as the Church, put our effort into treating? The healthy. I get very discouraged when I see programs cut or groups barred from certain rooms because the powers-that-be in a church are afraid it'll get dirty or broken or messed up. That's crap, absolute crap. When our comfort comes before the souls of those who need help, we're focused on the healthy and, in essence, have lost our true focus.
  3. "Do you really believe I can do this?" (Matthew 9:28) - On paper this might be rhetorical, but I think Jesus really wanted to know. Except that he would know, wouldn't he? I don't know. But, there's something to be said for saying something. I know Lisa loves me but she still tells me that and I tell her, even though she knows I love her too. There's something said for just the simple affirmation statements. What a simple way to pray: "I believe in you!" "I believe you love me!" "I believe that you sacrificed everything for me!" "I believe they, who are once effectually called, and regenerated, having a new heart, and a new spirit created in them, are further sanctified, really and personally, through the virtue of Christ's death and resurrection, by His Word and Spirit dwelling in them: the dominion of the whole body of sin is destroyed, and the several lusts thereof are more and more weakened and mortified; and they more and more quickened and strengthened in all saving graces, to the practice of true holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord." Okay, maybe not that last one :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home