dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

03 May 2006

Testing, testing...1, 2, 3

by Ben

I read Judges 6.

This section is all setup for Gideon. Gideon is similar to Moses in many ways. He is called by God to save the Israelites. He doubts his own ability. Here's where they differ: Gideon needs absolute proof from God; he asks God three different times (in this chapter alone!) for signs that he should obey the command that God, himself, gave him. All of that testing doesn't seem to sway God or even make Him angry. He just performs the signs (just like the miracles performed for Gideon's parents and grandparents).

I guess I am surprised that although Gideon tests God so much, that we are supposed to like him. Deuteronomy 6:16 says, "Do not test the Lord, your God." This sentiment is echoed by Jesus in both Matthew 4:7 and Luke 4:12. Yet, here we have an example of a man we are supposed to learn from doing that very thing.

Any thoughts on this?

4 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

this does seem to be a paradox...two scriptures on the other side would be I Thess. 5:21:
Test everything. Hold onto the good.

and I John 4:1
...do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God...

I'd like to think that the second verse there has something to do with wine-tastingl

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

mmm...clever title, by the way.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

haha...nice thoughts about the second verse!

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Testing is a very, very difficult slope to cross. I remember in college I had a friend who went to drive another friend to the airport one morning. A few minutes away from home he realized he didn't have his contacts in, nor was he wearing his glasses. So, as he told me, he decided to just "trust in God" to see him through that drive. To me, that isn't trusting, that's ignoring God-given common sense. If I had to guess, I'd consider that testing God who, again guessing, would much rather he turned around and put on some corrective lenses.

I think that when Jesus said not to test God it was also a situation where it would be a bit unreasonable to expect God to save him as well. If you don't want to die from jumping from a high height, don't jump from the high height. Testing God is jumping from the height and expecting him to save you. He could, but he probably won't because you're being kinda dumb.

I don't see Gideon's testing in the same way. I think with test we're running into a limitation on the flexibility of the word. Looking for truth was closer to what he was doing as opposed to sucker God into something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home