dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

02 May 2006

A Leading Lady

by Ben

I read Judges 4-5.

Yea! We have a woman leader in Israel! Deborah!

It's interesting to me: a few days ago, someone asked me if a woman would have had much authority in the time of Jesus, and yet, I look to these chapters in the Old Testament and one particular woman was written about as a prophet and a judge. "The People of Israel went to her in matters of justice" (C4. v5).

I don't know why this stands out to me so much. I guess I've grown up with the sense of a patriachal religion. Sure, there were a few lead females, but nothing to write home about. Yet...here, tucked within the pages of Judges is a lead female that not only does some great things, but gets a song written about her (all of Chapter 5). Whoa. Here's to you Mrs. Robinson. Excuse me...Mrs. Lappidoth. Way to go!

5 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Lappidoth? Imagine spelling that on your papers in first grade.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

i can see why the beatles went with Mrs. Robinson. Lappidoth doesn't really roll of the tongue. it kinda sticks to it.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

*ahem* Simon & Garfunkel

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

it's okay, joel. My immediate thought when I hear that song is the Beatles too...but then images of Wayne's World come into my mind and I remember Simon & Garfunkel.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger joeldaniel said...

i'm an idiot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home