dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

26 May 2006

My truth

by Ben

Hey all...first, an apology: I have been very bad about reading and posting recently, for which, I am sorry. I know how this affects my daily spiritual life, yet I have trouble getting myself to do it. This is especially true if I get out of my routine (which happens every few days). Anyhow, I am trying to make an effort to get myself back on track.

Today, I read Day 23 in Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life. I should be on like Day 37, so here's an apology to Rick about breaking my commitment. Anyway, the chapter was about how we grow to become more like Christ (exactly what I needed to hear today). Mr. Warren suggests that there are several parts in growing closer to Christ: "You must want to grow, decide to grow, make an effort to grow, and persist in growing."

I'm going to quote a lot of Warren here:

"The Bible says, 'Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.'

This verse shows the two parts of spiritual growth: "work out" and "work in." The "work out" is your responsibility, and the "work in" is God's role. Spiritual growth is a collaborative effort between you and the Holy Spirit. God's Spirit works with us, not just in us.

This verse, written to believers, is not about how to be saved, but how to grow. It does not say "work for" your salvation, because you can't add anything to what Jesus already did. During a physical "workout," you exercise to develop your body, not to get a body.

When you "work out" a puzzle, you already have all the pieces - your task is to put them together. Farmers "work" the land, not to get land, but to develop what they already have. God has given you a new life; now you are responsible to develop it "with fear and trembling." That means to take your spiritual growth seriously! When people are casual about their spiritual growth, it shows they don't understand the eternal implications."

Ouch. Sometimes the truth hurts.

1 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Wow, love the puzzle and farm analogies, good stuff and thanks for sharing :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home