dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

16 May 2006

Common Origins

I read: Hebrews 1-3

Have you ever read something and taken something away from it and found that, when you reread the passage, it's not there? I came away with this great thought that I assumed was in Hebrews 2 somewhere that Jesus had to trust in and rely on God with all his might to accomplish his mission here on earth, so how much more do we need to trust in and rely on God as just everyday, run of the mill, garden variety humans? But I couldn't find that when I went through it again. Weird.

So, here's what I did find: "Since the One who saves and those who are saved have a common origin, Jesus doesn't hesitate to treat them as family. . . ." Now what a cool thought that is. I've been thinking a lot lately about our relationships with God and how that really changes our faith if we can fully realize that so it's exciting to me to see this idea. Why do we work as a family? Because we have the same origin. That's obvious, I'm sure that we are all familiar with that idea. But what about the idea that "Jesus doesn't hesitate to treat [us] as family"? There are some mighty implications there!

I'm trying to resist busting out "We Are Family" but that resistance is thin right now.

The main implication: as bad as we want to be connected with God, he wants connected with us much, much more. That's his heart's greatest desire, to see us walking with him every step of the way. You don't go through all this trouble of creating individual plans of salvation for each of us, creating this grand salvation history, sending your son to die, and then sending your spirit to live in everyone should they desire if you don't really want every single person in the entire flippin' world to know who you are and that you love them. God's kinda crazy that way. But a good kind of crazy if you ask me.

It's an awful lot of work being God, but evidently we must be worth it :)

2 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger Ben George said...

It's a crazy little thing called love...but you're right, Matt. And yes, I've had the "Wait, I've read this before, but it meant something different" moment.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

PS - I finally found that verse, it's actually in there and I didn't make it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home