dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

19 March 2006

Let's Play Ball!

by Ben

I read Deuteronomy 11. Yes, in four days I read one chapter. I'm still upset at myself about this. I wouldn't be posting tonight (3 am) if my evening devotional hadn't been about putting God first in our lives (talk about smack in the face).

The thing about it is that the hits just kept coming. While reading, I began to see that this solitary chapter seems to sum up the whole point of the Bible (maybe even life).

Paraphrasing: God has been good to you - REALLY good to you. So you need to listen and do what He has said. If you do, you will be blessed; if not, then you will be cursed.

The notion of choice seemed to be the glaring point of this whole chapter. We can choose to follow God, or we can choose to do anything else in the world. This was the second slap in the face (that I have been making choices in my life, many of which were not pursuing God when I know that I should).

If you get time, please read this chapter (Deuteronomy 11). I'm very interested to hear thoughts about this summary of God's Word.

As for the final realization during today's reading, I will directly quote Peterson's The Message, Chapter 11, verses 31-32:

"You are crossing the Jordan River to invade and take the land that God, your God, is giving you. Be vigilant. Observe all the regulations and rules I am setting before you today."

In applying this to modern day, we all have our Jordan Rivers that we must cross, but our problem comes in remaining vigilant. In losing our faith, we begin to neglect all of the regulations and rules God has given us.

So, how do we prevent a lapse in faith?

By building faith into our daily schedule (a "faith refresher"), be it prayer, meditation, scripture reading, or fasting, we are exercising our faith - or bulking up our belief muscles. In doing so, we will also begin to find answers to questions previously unanswered and questions that have yet to be considered. That is why we must pray, read, write, or do some form of spiritual exercise everyday. In order to be ready for "the big game," we have to practice. [The game happens in day-to-day life.]

So readers, lets start stretching, because we are on deck.

2 Comments:

At 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought wat you wrote was good. thansk for the message. not preachy. infact more honest for your self i thought. so thanks. i was just surffing the blog sphear and came accross your entry.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Okay, read Deuteronomy 11 (in the NIV, whoa!). One of the things that popped out was Moses' instructions to parents in 19-21. I think I might share that at the parents' meeting in a few weeks actually. But what really jumped at me was 26: "See, I am setting before you today a blessing and a curse--" Our lives are all about choices and we have a choice to make, blessing or curse. Not that that's much of a choice really, but it's still up to us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home