dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

13 March 2006

Hate it!

by Ben (I'm putting my name in so that my youth know which posts are mine)

Read Deuteronomy 6-7.

I shouldn't have waited to read and write today; I did work first and now I have very little time to do this entry before my Confirmation class. My apologies.

There were many things in this short section that could have served as dlog fodder, but I decided that the idea of God telling people to "hate" something seemed like the most intriguing. This is because we, as Christians, grow up with mom, dad, or whatever parent figure, along with the rest of society (especially the church) telling us that we shouldn't hate. Maybe dislike, but not hate.

So, what is God's beef that He wants us to go against everything that we're taught?

He’s talking about idols or other Gods. Simple enough – love the Lord, your God. I can do that…

…as soon as I finish my work and get some food (not to mention checking my e-mail and talking to people on AIM).

There are so many things that distract me from God. In today’s society, we don’t need to worry as much about actual idols (I don’t see me running off to bow to Buddha). Instead, we celebrate things like money, technology, and relationships (really everything but God). There are so many times that I have missed out on reading scripture or praying because I was too busy with something else. Too busy letting other “gods” lead my life. Even though I work at a church, I sometimes do not spend time with God. How foolish of me. How can I expect to lead a flock – “pastor” – if I have not focused on which way to go. Learning the path can only be done through spending time with the one who made the path.

Here’s the challenge: Don’t think about how much time this will take. Sit quietly and get comfortable with God. He created you. He knows you. He loves you. Any thought on your mind should be brought to Him. Show Him your concerns, but then listen for His response.

3 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

Weird, I was pretty sure I posted a comment but it didn't show up so I'm trying again. Plus I have another little thing to add.

You think it's a coincedence how often the idea of our other "gods" have come up in the dLog lately? Could it be that this is the 10 foot tall fiery letters (reference!) of God that we're looking for? This is where we are supposed to be experiencing some conviction? I think so.

And speaking of hate, don't forget what Christ tells us: hate our mothers and fathers, our wives, and our children. I'm assuming he's using hyperbole there. There has to be a better way of translating that I feel. But yeah, evidently he's serious about what it takes to follow him :)

Glad you posted that you couldn't post and did. Good words and commitment, Ben :)

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Ben George said...

Did you just reference yourself from a comment in January? Props on that.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Matt Wiggins said...

The reference is originally from The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy originally, I might have alluded to it myself though ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home