dLog

"Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever." -Paul

06 October 2008

Come Thou Fount

By Matt

I don't have any scripture reading today but I do have some thoughts so I figured that was better than nothing. To put it frankly, my prayer time and my Bible reading have sucked completely. But just by chance we sang "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" in worship today and I had the song stuck in my head all day. So much so that I went on iTunes last night looking for versions of it and some other songs that I wanted to find. I downloaded it right before bed and moved my iPod dock to the nightstand so I could listen to it that night. And then this morning I woke up and it was right there. I listened through "Fount" again and "Blessed Be Your Name" and "Welcome Home" and Psalm 116 from The Bible Experience (thank you again for that, JDH!). And that was my prayer time and I enjoyed it. Strange how that works.

But this song, is just so good and it's such a great reflection of my life right now: contrast piled upon contrast. I am in such awe of what God is capable of doing, and more so, capable of doing in spite of me yet through me. But this is all contrary to my inconstancy and inconsistency. My desire to do better in keeping up my half of this relationship but just not coming through. So, my prayer today are these borrowed words:

Come, thou Fount of every blessing,
tune my heart to sing thy grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing,
call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
mount of thy redeeming love.

Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
hither by thy help I'm come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger,
interposed his precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home